1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What year did GM discontinue the SFA on the 1 tons?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jomofo, Mar 9, 2009.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Title pretty much says it all... Anyone know the last year GM made a 1 ton with a solid front axle?

Thanks guys!
  2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Should be somewhere around 88
  3. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Cool - thanks for the info... Just did some looking around and it looks like GM sure had some crappy engine options in 88... either a 185hp/258fp gasser or a 143hp/257fp diesel... I was thinking for sure I could find some overlap between the SFA and the 454....

Any of you guys have a good solution for an SFA GM with a strong motor in it that doesn't involve ripping apart the drive train or suspension?

Edit: did a little more digging... looks like 87 was the last year for the SFA... Also had the 454 as an option... I guess that's what I be lookin for.. Thanks for the tip on the year - that ball park range got me what I was looking for.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  4. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

1991 was the last year for 1 tons.
  5. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I thought they went to the new body style in 88 with IFS? not 91
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The 1 tons didn't change until 91. Kinda like how you could get an obs (88-98 style) in 2000 as a 1 ton.
  7. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

I believe the 1/2 tons stopped in 87, blazers and suburbans 91, 2500hd and the 3500 also know as V3500 last year was 91, now to confuse you more, you could also get a 1 ton or 3/4 ton pickup in ifs or sfa from 88-91. 92 and up was all ifs with the exception of the 3500 HD.
  8. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

But the 3500HD was RWD dually only, right?

This is so much easier than with the Dodge...

"Can I get a SFA 3500 wi..."

9. cj5

cj5 Junior Member

Weren't the 88-91 one tons only a 3+3 (crewcab) with a bed or a chassis cab, no bed?
  10. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Why do you want a SFA ? or a 454 ? lots of people plow with out either one of those things just fine.
    its also fairly straight forward to take out a small block and install a big block
  11. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Because a straight axle will carry weight alot better than IFS
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

He didn't say 3500HD but yes the actual 3500HD's were 2WD as from GM.

Some of you guys are close, some are right on, and some missed it by a mile so here's the details.

Yes a 1 ton SFA could be had all the way to the '91 model year and in ANY cab (or chassis) configuration.

And yes you could get BOTH an IFS and SFA truck in a 2500 or 3500 between the '88-'91 model years.
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The IFS haters would like to believe so but it has nothing to do with the axle design..it's all in the spring specs. Swap a set of XG coded T-bars into an IFS truck and it'll have more load carrying ability than any leaf sprung SFA 1 ton GM ever built.
  14. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Ive had a 04 duramax for 5 years. Hang a plow on the front of a STOCK F350 and the same blade on a STOCK GM 3500 and see which one drops more. Crank the t-bars and add timbrens they are alright but they ride to low with a plow for my liking.
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats the difference in spring rate...has nothing to do with the suspension design difference.
  16. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Well the way GMs are designed they squat with heavy plows. Im not saying the front ends on GMs trucks are garbage, mine has held up pretty damn good with very little repairs in 5 years of plowing. They just dont carry heavy plows very well like 810s and 9'2V's. Thats why I only have a boss 8.5ft straight blade on mine.
  17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure, they're not garbage. They're just too lightly sprung as they come from the factory. The heaviest factory installed spring ratings on the GM's are several hundred pounds less than the lightest rating on a super duty. Which is why the supers hold the weight better stock...in most cases. But there's also plenty of guys out there that also have to upgrade the springs on the supers if they didn't option it with enough spring in the first place either.

Plenty of guys out there too who are running plows weighing 900 or 1000 lbs or even more on the GM's for years with no problem after a spring upgrade....me included. You just have to know what springs (T-bars) to install...and watch the frame. :cool:

Ok back on topic before jomofo yells at us for running his thread off track. :D
  18. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I have an 8'6 EZ V on my 2500 HD I bet its right around 900 pounds with the 5/8 cuting edge more with all the snow that gets stuck to it. After 5 years of plowing I have no front end problems on only bottom out on rare occasion on lousy roads that make the front end want to bounce.

I don't think this is really off topic. Its sharing ideas(what this forum is all about) and dispelling a rumor that you need a solid front axel to carry a plow. Same goes with a 454, while extra power isn't necessarly a bad thing I know people who plow with inline 6's and have no problems.
  19. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Not at all! :drinkup: I've been round this a few times, but that's why we're all here far as I can tell...

I want the SFA for the load carrying capacity and simplicity of design... I want the 454 for the POWA BABY! But I didn't start this thread to bash the IFS or small block (i-6 in a full size plow truck though, c'mon...) My buddy drives a mid 90's chevy and it's a great truck. To be fair, he doesn't plow it and if he did, I bet he'd be driving a ford or dodge. I just think the older GM's are damn good looking trucks and I'm looking to add a vehicle that is 50% emergency vehicle and 50% toy... The first 50% requires a simple heavy duty design that is easy to repair and has components that are easy/inexpensive to replace. The second 50% requires lockers,a big ass motor, and straight pipe exhaust. I'd probably put a mount on it just in case, but I might not ever plow with it. My dodge is warrentied for life, end-to-end - so if I'm going to ef up a truck plowing, it'll be that one.
  20. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 88,old style{square nose}V30 dump with the solid axle.As B+B said,only the 30 series stayed around in this form until '91.With the extra front spring I installed years ago,my 9-2 Boss hardly sags the front down at all.