1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What year 550?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by awhip, Feb 19, 2016.

1. awhip

awhip Member

So i want to upgrade my truck. I have a obs 7.3 dump and love it but need more capacity. I'd like to get into a coil front end truck, but my budget would be around 500 a month, so something under $25k. I found a nice 6.4 86000 miles i think is a good deal but I'm scared of buying a money pit. I know i would need to spend 2gs to delete everything and get a tuner. Will that be enough? I won't put a ton of miles on it but want to be able to jump in it and go somewhere when needed.
    I've read about coolant issues, radiator, adding an additional oil cooler. If i delete all the egr crap will that help prevent coolant problems? I don't want to get too involved.
    From what i understand it would be cheaper to bulletproof a 6.0. The non rusted ones are going for big bucks around me but if it would cost less to make reliable, it might be the way to go.

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd be more comfortable with the 6.0 than the 6.4

3. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I wouldn't touch a 6.0 if you have it to me for free. Every single one I know of, which is at least 10-15 locally, has had issues. Regardless of what has been done. Stay away unless you want to throw hundos at it like an overpriced stripper.

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I would take a 6.0 over a 6.4 any day. Both can be made reliable, the bigger question is how long they will stay reliable. That's a pretty big gamble with a 6.4, a 6.0 that's been gone through by a knowledgeable person who understands them and uses the right parts should give you minimal issues down the road if you look after it. Some guys have issues down the road due to neglect or forgetting that the mechanic said they need to keep an eye on something, or the truck will need _____ in a year or so but it's still ok now and they in turn take that as "this thing is fine, it doesn't need anymore work" and then the lack of proper maintenance and repair catches up with them.

A friends shop has a truck there right now (04 F350 with around 210k on it) that was in this past summer for some work and the owners were told that some of the injectors were a little sticky but they could hold off on them (they already had a large bill due to neglect) until later in the fall and they could bring the truck back then for injectors and anything else it might need. Well they called a couple weeks ago when it was cold asking why their truck was starting really hard and how to fix it. Seemed like they had forgotten all about any prior information they'd been given about the truck and future work it would need after it was at the shop once.

5. shawn_

shawn_ Member

Either or deleted shall be a good choice

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Just what????

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

If it were me, I'd listen to Mark13. He's been dealing with deleted and tuned trucks for awhile. We've both gone to or worked with the same tuner and exhaust person, and he knows what he's talking about.

8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

6.4 seems like a total pos, every owner I've talked to besides one said they regretted buying it. The 6.0 seems hit and miss, depends if you have a knowledgeable mechanic, not one who says he knows. Talked to quite a few 6.0 owners, had only one or two out of the many people I've asked actually had problems. That being said I only ask 05-07 owners as that's what I'm looking for.

9. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Are you set on a diesel? Or have you considered a v10?
    I personally would be worried about a 6.4 even tuned and deleted, they are very picky with maintenance, whereas the v10 would be more of a get in and go like you said you wanted

10. awhip

awhip Member

My ol man brought that point up. Ill ponder it over some more, but I'm pretty set on diesel, i really like the one i have.
    I'm going to look at the newer stuff too maybe i can swing it if i get rid of one of my other trucks.
    I do have a sweet shop to work on stuff, i like wrenching, and my father's friend is a diesel mechanic. He's making me lean toward the 6.4, but ive just heard so many horror stories. That's why i went with the old 7.3 in the first place.

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I had a 6.4 with 350 HP added, don't ever remember a problem with it. It was an 08.

Put 100K on it,too.

12. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

We've had two that have been been run to around 150k miles. Only thing done has been a dpf delete and custom tunes on a dash daq with air intake. Trouble free motors compared to every 6 liter I know. Including the 6 liter I personally owned and hemmoraged thousands into.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Here's what happens to some 6.4's. This was a friends 08 that had around 150k on it when it let go. Truck was stock until 115k or so, then was tuned and deleted. It was run pretty hard but over maintained. He was just cruising down the road when this piston decided it had enough.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. awhip

awhip Member

Not a good sign bub. That #7 or 8? From what i understand the block can get hot in that area, the coolant passages get clogged?
    Maybe i will go with a gasser...

15. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I was originally looking for a used diesel but seeing how I can get a new 6.7 for 43k or a used truck with 150k miles on it for 20.. The new one is making more sense

Edit: I missed the 550 part... Idk what numbers are on those new vs used. 05-07 has bigger head bolts and redesigned heads. 08 job 2 fixed a lot of issues.

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think that was #8. Cylinders 7 & 8 are the ones used for the regen process and often times are the first to fail from the added stress.

17. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

a friend of mine owns a tow company, he finally had enough with the issues with the diesels and decided to try a V10 for his around town AAA service wrecker. Its a pig on gas, but not too much worse than his 6.7, and the fuel cost difference makes up for it. Nevermind how much cheaper the maintenance is. Yes, they have a lower resale value...but they cost 8K less new too! He has no complaints about it other than it being light in the nose and having to hide weight, but its a different animal than a dump.

As for a diesel, personally I would go with a 7.3 F-550 from the south if you can find one. Either have it shipped up, or go get it.

18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I did an Identicial equipped value on KBB for gas vs diesel. After 3 years the diesel was worth 2 grand more

19. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

So much for resale value

20. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

That was for trade in. 2013 year models. I would prefer to trade in every 3 years that's why I was looking. I'm looking for a 3/4 - 1 ton right now but it's same principle.

I haul a skid around every few weeks, 10 yards or so of mulch each trailer load for about 3 weeks straight in spring. And snow plowing. Iknow diesel uses less fuel when plowing, but that's 10 or so events a year.

I was looking at a new ford 6.7 but may end up with a higher trim 6.2 for less money. I don't like the wt interior on Chevy that much. Dodge is ok but it'd have to be a 3500 because I want leaf springs

I know this in no way applies to you looking for a 550. But what nothing ever stays on topic on here. I would buy new if you can swing the payment. Or at least an 05-07. I personally wouldn't go with a 7.3. They're underpowered and the newest ones are 15 years old now