1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what ya think?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Louiso, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

what if you got a plow and coated it in line-x. what do you think? would it be better as in no rust and never have to repaint it.... or no becasue it would chip/grind away at the bottom....well what if you only line-x it to the cutting edge.... just thought of it.... so i asked

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

would be a epic FAIL on the plow working.

all the extra surface texture would hold the water/ice/snow and the stuff would not slide and roll off the blade .
  3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

you could do the back

I would be more interested in powdercoating a whole plow. or chroming it....
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Spot on.
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've thought of having line-x do the frame work to my boss poly-v in a few years but I may just por-15 it and call it good enough. I don't think I'd do an entire plow though, especially the blade surface. I don't see snow sliding off that real well.
  6. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

chrome plow that sounds awesome.... especially for all the people driving around you. youd prob have to wear welding goggles when plowing
  7. Squires

Squires Senior Member

the trade mark texture would not be great, however that only comes in the last coat of product, it can actually be pretty smooth if that is what your looking for.
    Biggest issue i could see is the added weight, and they would have to sandblast and prime before spraying the product.
  8. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

Just fluid film it. It will be quick and easy.
  9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yeah rough texture on the plow's surface definitely = an epic fail! lol
  10. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

I bought my boss last year and wash it after every storm so it still looks new. I gotta get some fluid film though. But i'm currently looking for a second plow truck, probably an OBS chevy with an older unimount. I was thinking if I buy a rusty plow, sandblasting and bedlining the entire plow, then getting one of those slick poly sheets to put on the front of the moldboard. I think that might work. I'd probably go with the thiner stuff that comes in a rattle can to amount for less weight.
  11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't do the blade becouse the snow will stick to it wicked bad. I wouldn't do the frame work either becouse if you ever had to weld on it you would have to some how clean off the Line-X.
  12. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

We have a municipal close by that Rhino Lined their plows. They had them done in a very smooth texture & it worked great. It did add a little weight but they said is was not enough to really notice.
  13. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Did anyone catch last nights episode of Mythbusters?

I knew the bed liner was durable, but I really didn't think it was THAT durable.

I just took apart my plow yesterday to paint it up and get some work done on it. I might end up painting the headgear, a-frame and backside of the plow with a bed-liner for the durability.

As for the front, the smooth stuff such as Plasti-Dip might work, but I'll probably stick with heavy duty enamel on it. Wet snow tends to stick to a blade, and I'm afraid the bed-liner or plasti-dip might make it stick at low speeds.

At high speeds, such as a municipal plow or highway truck, I can see a smooth finish on the blade working,