1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you use on this lot?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by PerfiCut Inc., Sep 22, 2008.

1. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

trying to improve proficiency and wanted to get an idea as what others would use to clear this lot.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What do you use now?
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Might I suggest

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Get a big loader and take out all those islands first.
  5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

That lot looks like a pain! is that New Psalms?

I would use a backhoe with pusher, bobcat with pusher and snow bucket, and 2 trucks.
  6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I agree-islands suck.:drinkup:
  7. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

depends what kind of equipment you have, or what you want to spend on equipment for that lot. I would have nothing less than a skidsteer with a box, a loader with a box & one full time truck, possibly 2
  8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

All those light posts in the middle of the lots suck more-what were they thinking?
  9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

arent the lights usually on the islands....and does each island have to be open inbetween each other or can you just use the islands to stack snow possibly
  10. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Loaders and dumpers and a touch of salt:)
  11. PerfiCut Inc.

from Eastern

Right now were bidding the lot. I have it slotted for a loader, bobcat with pushbox, 2 trucks, and 4 snow blowers.

I agree, the islands are one thing, but to have to deal with the lights too. I dunno who designed this but she must be a moron.

No, but we do, do the New Psalmist, and with that lot is easy compare to this one.
  12. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Good luck man......i would get another loader in there!
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There's quite a difference in a loader compared to a skid, you defineatly need at min a backhoe with a 12 ft box and instead of the two trucks another loader would be better. Not sure the area your in or what the needs for the complex are. Do you know how many acres it is?
  14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Backhoe, Skid Loader, 2 Trucks, and a bottle of Excedrin.:waving:
  15. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

How about some mexicans with big shovels, and subcontract the $60.00 an hour guys.
  16. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

That lot just screams - come damage me by accident! All of those islands and then the light posts just stuck out on their own :dizzy:

First thing I would do is put large reflective tape on all of those light poles. 3' and 6' marks.

I'd hit the main loop and the main road leading into the building and main lot first. Then work the main lot where all of the cars are parked now. In the lot pushing away from the building then coming back to tuck in the islands and run a final push after clearing their lanes. Then break into the second lot where that cement pad is. Then the third smaller lot.

I'd keep the pickups working as a pair. Bobcat for the tight close to buildings then working on pushing around all of the light poles for the loader.

The kicker will be when the snow hits and the cars are filling the lot .... ouch.
  17. PerfiCut Inc.

from Eastern

My initial thought was to run 4 Trucks with full size loader, but since the lot is spread out, there would need to be a second loader or bobcat on the other side. So I downsized the number of trucks.
    3 Trucks, a loader, a bobcat with bucket&pusher would be good I think.
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of time frame do you have to plow it? Normally, not Sunday or Saturday or whatever day their worship is? This makes a difference if you need 1 or 2 loaders.

Got an estimate on total acres?

How much width between islands? And between islands and the asininely placed light posts?

IMO, backhoe is undersized as the largest piece of equipment, unless your normal snowfall is 2-3", never anything bigger and you have a lot of time.

I'd be looking at a loader with Daniels' Wing Plow or pusher for heavy\long pushes and a skid steer for outlining lights and islands. 16' on a pusher and minimum of 16' for a Daniels. Loaders will outplow a truck with light posts all day long because of the articulation.