1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what would you use for equipment?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dodgegmc1213, Aug 3, 2014.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

im alil bored right now so I figured I post some pics of some sites we do and just wanna know what everyone else would use for equipment at these sites.

the 1st pic is my dad's contract. we did it for 2yrs before they signed a 3yr contract last summer. so what would you use for equipment? and how big of a sidewalk crew?

the 2nd pic is townhomes that have 2 sections. we subbed it off a landscaper for the past 3yrs before quitting with them this past February. we only took care of the roads, dead ends, and parking spots, as well as salting, the landscaper had his guys do the sidewalks. again what would you use for equipment?

also both sites are about 2mins apart from each other.

thanks guys

col.jpg

holly.jpg

2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Id think the biggest skid steer model with a kage would be perfect here.

3. dodgegmc1213

for the site in the second picture yes would be awesome.

4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

First pic, two 3/4 tons with XV-2 fishers, and 2 guys with 30" Ariens pro hydro blowers.

Second, two 3/4 tons with XV-2 fishers, 2 ag tractors with blowers, 6 guys with shovels and or blowers for the walks and tight spots.

5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

First pic, 1 ton or larger dump trucks with V-box spreaders and 9'6'' V's or 8611 Blizzards, or a Wideout or XLS
    Second pic, same trucks, plus a bunch of guys and single stage blowers for walks and a skidsteer for the driveways.

6. dodgegmc1213

ok ill tell what we have been doing. last winter (2012-2013) my brother did the site in the 1st pic with the gmc and straight blade fisher with a 2 guy crew (1 with 24" blower the other with a shovel)

I was doing the second site by myself with my dodge with straight blade and a skid with an 8' pusher. I'd plow the roads with the truck and then go in the skid for the dead ends.

this past winter (2013-2014) I took care of both sites, had a 2-4 guy crew on sidewalks (depended on storm) and a guy in the skid with the pusher. I'd bounce between sites plowing while the guy in the skid did dead ends and if he had time hit the roads for me alil bit.

the 1st site isn't bad with a straight blade but would be alil faster with a v-plow. this year if I was there again I wanted 2 bigger blowers for the walks. the 2nd site isn't bad with a truck neither but would rather have a skid with a kage to handle it all. if I had both sites again I probably wouldn't change they way I have been doing it (besides a v-plow and bigger blowers). but if I had another site in the area I would have a skid with a kage at 2 sites and ill plow the 3rd and bounce between all 3 the make sure there ok

7. dodgegmc1213

3/4 does fine at both, my dad did the 1st one a few times with the f-450 and was fine but 1 parking lot there is a pain in the ass, its tight just with a pick-up lol

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I always figure faster is better, hence the reply I gave. Bang it out, move on to the next job. Fast reliable quality service leads to more work.

9. dodgegmc1213

appsolutely, I only had these 2 sites so it wasn't bad, especially since they were down the road from each other. we try to have atleast 2 sites per truck, depending on how small or big they are. to be honest im so done with these residential commercial sites, they are a pain in the butt. I want sites that are closed at night and possibly during a storm.lol

10. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Trucks in the first picture. For the second picture I would use a skid with a pusher and a truck or two.

11. dodgegmc1213

thanks glenn

12. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Well the site in the first pic takes an hour per visit besides cleanup. So it leaves a lot of extra time for other stuff.

13. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

OK, I have to chime in. How on earth can a single straight blade truck move all that in a hr? I already know the answer by the way.....

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  14. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

I did that site for about 8 years..lol

15. dodgegmc1213

During the storm is only road ways, takes me about 30-45 mins with a 8 foot blade, clean up takes alot longer because everyone that lives there are a$$holes. The second site, again during the storm only the roadways, 15-20 mins with that same truck.