1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you ultimate sidewalk rig be??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TGS Inc., Feb 7, 2015.

1. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

I'm re-evaluating our sidewalk crews / rigs. We use many combos. Recently we were hit with 16" of snow and I realized many of my rigs aren't set up as they should.

Truck issues: We use typically 4x2, older pick-ups we buy at auctions. Some pull quads on trailers. We were having a hell of a time getting through the snow. Thinking a 4x4 is in order (never wanted to spend the money).

Sidewalk equipment: I won't say I'm cheap but lets just say many of my crews leave the shop with only shovels. This snow kicked our ass. Thinking bare minimum a 2 stage for each crew. How to transport though??

My question: What would be your ultimate sidewalk rig / combo??

I'm thinking: 4x4 stake truck to hold bulk salt (quad cab). Enclosed trailer and a Ventrac with a blower and a broom with their new Salter.

How are you guys doing it? What would your dream combo be??

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I don't have my dream setup yet. I am close.

Not sure if you have any ZSprays, but after seeing the one here on PS made by Eric, I invested in one immediately. Initially, after seeing it, I thought my purchase of JD 1025R w\blower & broom this spring was a waste. After our 10" snowfall last weekend, I realized I am glad I have both.

The Z Plower worked with the exception of a mile long public walkway. It took longer, obviously, but it made it through. And for 90% of our snowfalls, the Z Plower will be the ultimate machine. Now I need a box truck for it. A pallet of sidewalk salt, shovels, a single stage blower all on one truck. Covered.

Having said that, the 1025R is an awesome machine. I ran it on that mile long sidewalk I referred to earlier. It worked amazingly well. 10" of snow and I was able to go right through it in L range with hardly slowing it down. Snow was coming over the top of the blower and it kept right on moving. The broom works equally as well. We have a small SnowEx spreader on the 3 point so we can sweep\blow and salt all at once. A shovel strapped to it so we can do steps and a scoop to salt the steps while we're there. Maneuverability is fantastic. I really wanted a 4WS, but JD doesn't make a 4WS\diesel combo and the 3 point was a little lighter than I wanted.

Basically what I am saying is there isn't 1 perfect setup. There is a combination needed for those storms like last weekend.

4. Mark Oomkes

Dingos are unstoppable in the snow. But they are way too slow.

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

01-02 crew cab GM's are the ****. The 6.0 is a tough motor and good for lots of miles.

6. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

we only have one sidewalk crew this year but they do the amount of work that our 2 crews did last year. all they have is shovels. We pay our driver more than usual because he uses his truck. it is a dakota 4x4.

We only have smaller sidewalks so we have no need for any snowblowers or anything. If we were to get say an apartment complex i think what would work great and idk if it's even been done but have an atv with a snowblower on the front. i do not like the idea of a plow doing sidewalks

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We bought a 3320 this year as I see so many around my area driving around during snow storms. It goes 17 mph and as long as your sites are reasonably close it's faster to drive it then load it. Plus with a drop salter full of salt and a shovel on board the operator can pretty much fend for himself. He's also happier because he has a radio and nice cab to stay warm. It seems keeping sidewalk guys happier makes them stay around longer. The 1 and 2000 series Deere's are nice but need to be trailered and to me the higher price of a 3000 series makes up for that. Plus a 3000 series is built to take a lot of abuse.

8. snowfighter83

snowfighter83 Senior Member

we run a 4x4 extended cab dmax with a 24ft enclosed. inside is 2 2012 honda foreman with plows. one has a pull behind epoke drop sreader. also a brand new exmark walk behind broom. shovels broadcast spreaders. tools gas cans air tank. all thr work is within one mile of are shop. salt is @ first and most important location. when thr ready to leave to the next they laod up whatever salt they need and go.

9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I can't imagine pulling around a trailer in a real 15" or more storm...

A true sidewalk machine needs to be self sufficient, = tractor

Availability to blow snow, plow or broom, = tractor

Haul about half a yard of salt or ice melter and apply all in the same pass = tractor

Keep operators dry and warm and comfortable = tractor

A compact 3 series deere or kubota expecially with the new kubota k connect is exactly where it's at! One machine, no truck, no trailer rotting out, no need for 3 men, reduced fuel, reduced wages and increased productivity

10. snowfighter83

snowfighter83 Senior Member

i do agree a small tractor could be better @ times. and alot more multifunction. but we dont get 15" or more to often. the 1025r and of the like. are nice but im not sure how fast it is. i seem to think it may not be fast enough for most are snow event. i could be wrong.. driving it sit to site jus wouldnt work for most around here. and it couldnt carry all the salt it needs with it. and for what we do thr just not anyway around having a crew work as a team.
    are set is not dream but works for us for now. i will say in the fall we tried to come up with something other than the two quads but stuck with it for now.

so how about a flat bed dove tail lawn truck with 1025r or of the like. or in tgs case i think he has some baby skids. load it attachments and a skid or two of salt.

11. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Our Ventrac has worked well so far for the little snow we've had in Athens. It takes care of all of our apartments and HOA's, and does a good job of it. The walks we have are all too wide for anything bigger.

Thought about a z plower like Mark has, but I don't want to listen to anyone ***** that one guy gets the Ventrac with a cab and the other is out in the open on a machine. It also worries me that the hydro's wouldn't much be happy about pushing snow. So there's 1 machine with a cab, and 2 other guys shoveling where it can't get to. They rotate every 2 hours so no one feels left out and has to cry about it.

12. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

What is a 3320?

We bought 2 Bobcat S70's this year and they have been great. Definitely have a purpose and place. Looking at crew times, etc. I have decided we will want a machine that is able to have a blower, broom and plow interchangeable relatively quickly. Also salting off the back will be a must. I used to run a Kubota 3030 with an Epoke on the back. DId 7 miles of school sidewalks. Was awesome! I think I am going with Ventracs next year. We run around 15 sidewalk crews.

13. Mark Oomkes

There's a couple contractors here that are using either cabovers or a flatbed to haul their sidewalk equipment. One is using an RTV, not sure about the other.

If you already own a Zspray it's foolish to not put it to year round use. Plow and spread or spray all at once. My guy says he doesn't even needa shovel.

14. Triple L

from Canada

3320-3720 are deere compact tractors

15. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

its funny...That last 14" we got.....The sidewalk crews johndeere broke down on a large site...I felt so sorry for them....I broke out the skid with a Metalpless on it....:drinkup:

16. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Single stages don't do **** in large snows unless its straight powder. for smaller snows they're fine. I've seen guys use walk behind rotating brooms, and backpack blowers, along with all the other stuff mentioned.

It's all in what you have for accounts. We had accounts with lost of stairs that made them inaccessible to equipment and you ended up lugging blowers around a lot.

17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You and SnoFarmer must be pen pals. :rolleyes:

18. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Dave - What do you have in the front of the 3320? What model drop spreader? I've got a 2210 JD and it's fantastic but like you mentioned, the travel speed is an obstacle.

LOL!

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We just have a 60" Metal Plessis with a Baughman drop salter. We use to have 2 Kubota F2560's and while they were more nimble and could cut grass they weren't built heavy enough and the cabs werent as nice. You can utilize salt boxes or have a salt truck when passing by fill the drop spreader also. We are fortunate we don't have a lot of stairs.

20. Triple L

from Canada

How's the metal plessis been working? The poly trip mechanism looks iffy... it's a v plow or straight?