1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would YOU Say? All Comments Welcome..

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by PlowOrDie, Nov 4, 2008.

1. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

Ultimately, I am making this thread to see what you guys would bid on this church...not exact figures, but ballpark figures to kind of get an idea where I would stand with my estimates against a competetors estimates. (yeah its a church, we all know how churches are with their selection process so factor that in)... i am also posting this here to see how long you guys think it would take to successfully, and professionally clean this place up every 3 inches (i believe average snowfall around here is 60 inches)... heres some info...all comments appreciated- neg or pos.

-3 trucks will be doing it, all 8 foot plows.
    -Sidewalks/walkways that line the building are to be cleared as well as salted
    -Front "Atrium/Courtyard" area near cul-de-sac is made of pavers and needs to be cleaned
    -Salt is required
    -3" trigger
    -contract will be from Nov 15, 2008-April15 2009
    - 2 experienced plowers, 1 rookie
    - hiring some friends to shovel/snowblow for some extra fun and $$
    -they want a seasonal contract, not per push
    -handloading salt bags into tailgate spreaders
    -I have Insurance, I have a license

need more info? ask me....

ussmileyflag

[​IMG]

2. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

How big is the lot?

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That would be extremely helpful.

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i say an hour

5. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

3 trucks for one lot that church has got to be big

6. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

sorry, i thought i had attatched the picture in the original post...

[​IMG]

the lot is pretty big, i do not have the actual dimensions... i guess you can use the parking lot spots as a form of reference...

looks like the pic is there now? well i guess its in here twice...

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

My guess is 27 hours and charge $746,000.00 for the season or 5 payments of $149,200.00. Post a picture of the lot and my price is subject to change

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Opps didnt realize the lot was "pretty big" I need to add $20,000.00 to my bid!
    Hopefully you plow better than you post picks cos there still not up LOL

9. JDiepstra

Yo dude! There is still no picture! Im going to undercut Superior L&L and say that I can do it in 6.5 hours so I would only go $725,000 for the season or 5 payments of $147,500.

10. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

haha, my fault- just realized that i had my album set on private... changed it to public... think it will work now?

11. JDiepstra

Hey there they are!

12. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I can see the pics, but can't even begin to form an estimate. Can you go out an measure the lot?

13. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

ok... i hope you guys can see those pictures now that i made that change... here is another picture that i edited... the yellow boxes are areas that need to have the snow completely removed by shovel/snowblower... sidewalks, courtyards, and dumpster area...

[​IMG]

14. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

im going to measure the lot tomorrow morning. Should make the estimating ALOT easier... i know some of you guys on this site can eyeball it up though...

15. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here are some pictures of the front courtyard with the pavers.. taken at night...

16. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

The lot's not big enough for 3 trucks from the picts you posted. I'd say you could knock it out with one truck in 1:15 to 1:30. If you have the second truck then figure under an hour easy. Add :15 clean up time to push the snow that came off the brick and walks.

A little tough to see the walks but..... The walks around the building, two guys one hour with push shovels. The kicker is the front brick area which needs a decent snow blower and a shoveler maybe 40 minutes. If you get some young bucks with strong backs the time can go down.

A 3" trigger .... What happens if they get a 2.5" snow today and then a day later another 2", then the third day they hit the 3" snow fall trigger. Are you plowing 7.5" that is now packed down?? Then this will add 30-40% time and much salt to the situation. A 2" trigger some times has a chance to melt in the early season not so in Jan/Feb.

Figure the time, apply your per hour rate, figure your costs, add in salting based on your sq foot and per ton and balance the effort with any other account you have near by.

17. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, that lot isn't all that big, nor is it complex.

1 truck, 1.5 to 2 hours to plow it.

18. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

thanks for the reply.

I understand what you are saying about the 2.5" snow fall being packed down then re-snowed on, and how it would cause me problems. 2 inch trigger might be a little more realistic. Another thing about this church also is that it is in operation 3 days out of the week.

Honestly my guess was that it would take me more then one truck to get this lot done in less then two hours. I figured if all three of us were to show up, we could knock it out in an hour.

19. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Regarding the 2" trigger. I've run across many small companies that are manufacturing on a tight budget. They are closed sat/sun and don't want to be plowed in order to save money. I explain that when the stuff sits it becomes packed and then your Monday will not be as clean. So, I've come up with a special approach and pricing that allows me not to eat it and them to save on the dollars.

Maybe you can come up with something like that for your client. dunno.

20. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Hey I am bidding on that church also. Isnt that crazy....