1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what would you recomend for salting?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by pby98, Oct 19, 2008.

1. pby98

pby98 Member

i have an honda rancher that i plow with. i want to start salting my driveways. i was thinking of mounting somthing to the back rack to spread salt. or ive seen that some poeple pull a spreader behind them. what would you recomend. and also i want to salt my driveways only. not the street from job to job do typically salt spreader have like a shut off valve or somthing. where can i find a good spreader?

2. RLTimbs

RLTimbs Member

I use a John Deere spreader I got fomr Home Debot.

I like it alot.. and its built alot stronger than the one I bought from tractor supply (some p.o.s. black one)

3. pby98

pby98 Member

is it a trailer or do u mount it to the atv/tractor ?

4. ATVGUY

ATVGUY Junior Member
    from central

5. pby98

pby98 Member

cool. thanks for the info

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Don't put to much weight hanging out over the rack I snaped my rack in half and I had about 100lb hanging over mine.

7. pby98

pby98 Member

yea i broke the front rack of my honda recon by putting to much weight on it.

8. RLTimbs

RLTimbs Member

It's a trailer.

9. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a tow behind Agri-fab that holds 250 lbs. It's been used commercially for four years spreading calcium. It'll make it another year or two. I keep it sprayed with Fluid Film and never drag it over 5mph. Bought it at Cabelas or Northern Tool.

10. RLTimbs

RLTimbs Member

11. pby98

pby98 Member

isnt it hard to plow with a trailer on the back of your atv. or do you just unhook it when you get there?

12. RLTimbs

RLTimbs Member

I only hook it up after I am done plowing.

I hook it up then put salt in it and salt..

13. mak104

mak104 Junior Member
    from Pa

Have you actually spread salt with the John Deere and Agrifab? Everything I'm reading says they'll do ice melt, which is not salt.

14. RLTimbs

RLTimbs Member

I used the John Deere spreader all last winter.

It worked fine w/ salt.

15. mak104

mak104 Junior Member
    from Pa

Great.Thanks.