1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you pay for wings?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slongfellowii, Nov 12, 2010.

1. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

Everyone agrees that wings are would the money. Prowing are about $200 buy are a little lightweight for commercial use in my opinion. Western ProPlus retail for $620 while Boss wing are at $675, with Megascoop coming in at $375 delivered, but not available currently. With many threads about building there own wings, what would you be willing to pay for something similar to a Boss or Western wing in construction and quality for an independent fabricator instead of the plow manufacture?

2. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

the way i see it is if they can do it for anything under what boss or western charge you'd be coming out ahead as long as they're built as well...or better.

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i like the 10 cent wing nights

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

:laughing:

Who does that? Hooters? B dubs?

I'd be willing to pay 675$

5. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I wouldn't.....bought them three years ago and think their a wast of money......

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Which ones and why?

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

The Pro-Wings are designed to take the abuse, not the plow. When I bend a wing, I take a BF hammer and a block of wood to straighten it. They hold up pretty well and are worth the money IMO.

8. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Pro wings.. bent way to easy.... not angled enough.... bought the thicker rubber for them and it didn't clean any better.....IMO...... Two storms and took them off... try them again last year and took them off mid storm.... wasted $300.00.......

9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

What did you hit? I plowed all season last year and only had to break out the BF hammer once...

10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

honestly, i don't remember hitting anything hard...for the way that they bent....

11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We fabbed up 3 sets this year, we'll run these and decide on more.....

12. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

We have about 8 sets of pro wings. We had the same problem with the wings when we started using them. We were burning through the rubber in a few weeks. Mostly from being torn off on curbs. We swithed to poly edges and love them. They stick out further then the metal, like the rubber. Cuts like metal and seems to extend the life of the pro wings.

13. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

we use them

We have been using wings for many years now. Seem to work okay for us unless you hit something really hard that you shouldn't. Since they do not have trip edges on the after-market wings you must be careful.

For us they have been well worth the investment and we simply change the rubber as needed during the season. For $14.00 in new rubber each change they are worth it to us.

Thanks for the poly idea, we will need to try that this year on a few sets.

Good luck to everyone this winter.

14. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Ya i bought the 1 1/4 poly for them... Still don't like them... plowing a half blade and whould still get wind row... IMO

15. The Lone Plower

The Lone Plower Member

FWIW- I saw a set of Pro Plus wings for $480.00 on the Plow Parts Direct website.

16. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

ouch!!!!!!!

17. allcraftsmen

allcraftsmen Junior Member

I have 3 Boss V plows all with Boss wings. Hands down best money ever spent. I have never used a Western plow with wings or Prowings so I can't comment on those. If you want to be done sooner, less wear and tear on your truck, use less fuel and be back in bed put the Boss wings on.

18. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

I have the wings from Northern Tool on all of my plows.
    They cut down on a lot of time.

I even put them on my V plow, just to make more time!

19. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

Angelos supply in Wixom Michigan is a good place for the wings also.

20. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

$475 if it includes shipping; more than that & I'll make them myself.
    lemme know; I'm about ready to buy SOMETHING......