1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you have done?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rider1340, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Rider1340

Rider1340 Member

A pal of mine said he had recently raised his frame 6''. I ask if he lowered his lift-frame(meyer), he said ,"No , How do you do that?"I sold him a 12" cutting edge from my cold stock , simple improvise.What would you have done?

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Doing that would change the fulcrum of the blade. (Where the trip pivots). The trip springs would now be too weak to hold the blade up under normal use.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Good point. I would say add another trip spring, but then you may end up breaking something. Basically, now the plow will trip MUCH easier. The right way to do it would be to properly lower the frame, and consider adding some braces.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Either extended (lowered) the lower truckside frame or mounted new (raised) ears onto the A-frame. It is important that the A-frame sit level in it's stock setup. You may have achieved this by added an huge (IMO) edge but now you have changed the characteristice of the plow. I don't think he will be happy with the results.

5. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Why Bother?

I said it before and I'll say it again. While not the best idea, plowing with a lifted truck will work fine. I've done it. I've seen it done. No real problems. 1 thing though. Iv'e found that installing a steel cuting edge wider than 7 inches tends to make the plow rattle when clearing a powdery snowfall. Especially on a concrete surface. ;)

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Plow Meister hit it right on the head. Bad idea. With a 12" edge, when it does trip, your pal will have to reverse to untrip the blade. I don't think it will spring back with 12" folded under it like it will with 6" folded under it. Also, all that tripping will shorten trip spring life, so he better carry spares, as well as the mounting eyes for them.

~Chuck

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Regardless of the truck hight lifting the plow up by adding a 12" edge will eventually tear that plow apart. Especially on a Meyer plow which is lightweight to start. If nothing else I would remove the edge.

8. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

If he is talking about a suspension lift, ( which I assume he is ) I had an 88' ford that I lifted 6". I'm not exactly sure how much higher the plow frame got of the ground, but I did plow with the truck and had no problems, although I had to use the lowest holes in the plow frame to put the plow on. The truck was a 150, I will say with the lift springs, when the blade was on, the front did not sag much if any at all. I didn't really like plowing with a lifted truck, but it did work just fine for me, and I was useing a meyer plow also. Just my 2 cents worth.

Chief Plow

9. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Buy a Fisher and keep it in the upper mounting hole:)

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If your raise the truck 6" through a suspension lift then the plow frame goes up 6" as well.

11. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I have a meyer mounted on a RAM 1500. My truck is not lifted but is equiped with stiffer shocks/springs and sits higher than most other half tons. I have the springs properly adjusted on the meyer. I originally mounted the frame in the middle holes but was tripping constantly. Moved to the bottom holes, which was probably where I should have started and it trips much less but still a little more than I think it should. Based on my experience he is going to want to wad the whole rig up and throw it in the nearest waste paper basket after a couple of hours plowing with it unless he plows all smooth asphalt. If you talk to him within a couple of hours of finishing his route make sure not to startle him or talk in a loud voice because he will probably flinch.

12. Rider1340

Rider1340 Member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2002