1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you have done?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Michael F, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

A former friend of mine just called pissed off. I bid on a homeowners association for landscape maintenance that he plowed, he frames houses(doesn't effect him). They then asked me if I would bid on the snowplowing, I knew what he was getting but still bid it higher than that(I didn't lowball him). Further more when I talked to the association, the weren't happy with him, so they probably wouldn't have renewed. They actually wanted to make sure we would be doing it, not subbing it to him. They knew we were friends, didn't know we had a falling out.
    I don't talk to him anymore, so why would I call him to let him know. If it was one of my friends that I am close with I would have let them know I was asked to bid, possibly not bid it or at least asked them about it, subbed it to them or somthing. My feeling is that way one of us at least might get it.
    This is the same guy that tried to screw me over last fall(didn't have insurance, wanted more $ than the value of what he was plowing). Of the stuff I had solicted for him, I gave it all to him wrote a letter that he was assuming responsibility & liablity, and gave him 90% of the money.
    Am I doing somthing wrong??

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Yes.

You're worring about it.

3. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

John,

Well put.

Dave

4. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Thanks John.

5. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

First off

Friends and business are totally seperate.

and agree with John what are you worring about?

6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm in agreement too - with the idea that there's no reason to be worried AND that mixing friends & business doesn't always work out.

7. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Confucious Say

Better to be pissed off than pissed on!

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Don't worry about it man. He didn't do the work up to par, thats his fault.

Geoff

9. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Sounds to me like he made his bed, so why bother yourself if it is not comfortable for him?

You did all you could to be fair and it seem that he didn't even do fair work.

Bruce

10. SCL

SCL Senior Member

You've already settled this in your own mind. John couldn't be more right.Good friends and good competitors are hard mixes but professionals can communicate and still get along. There is no such thing as a bad friend, think about it. Bad competitors are called opportunities? Your just lucky he's not your relative:).

11. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

You didn't do a thing wrong(Sounds like he did), I wouldn't loose a minutes sleep over it.
    Casey