1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what would you have done?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jeckstine, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

Last night it was 12 degrees out. High in the low 20s today. I have a customer that is wet conditions with a 2" trigger with my option for less to plow if I feel it is best. I salt with a tailgate salter and they provide me with safer than salt for salting. On my way onto the property I dropped the plow on the main drive area and then salted the drive and parking lots. Only place it melted was where I plowed. I called my contact at the property and then plowed the entire thing at their request. I have been plowing for three years but the first I ran into this situation.

Would have you just plowed it all and been done with it?

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You answered your own ? Plow and salt = wet lot

3. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

sometimes I second guess myself!

4. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like if you think it is questionable then do it and they will support your decision. Next time just go with your gut on what conditions dictate.

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

So how much snow were you trying to melt off with your first salting? When it's cold like that you can't melt off too much. Just don't charge them for the first salting that you plowed off, that's your fault. I've never done the "we'll provide the salt" thing. No money in that.

6. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

In my opinion your giving the client too much control. My contracts state that it is decided upon by my company what is done. I would never call a client and ask for their permission to plow or salt or have them provide me with salt.

That being said, rule of thumb is, if it is enough to scrape, scrape all the snow off then salt. Regardless of anything, will use less salt and have a quicker reaction time to get the lot black.

7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

The first mistake is allowing them to make you use their salt. That is a joke. Why dont they buy their own truck and salter too? As already stated their isnt any money in that.

8. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

There was a 1/2" on the ground. Was not forecasted at all.

All of my other accounts i provide the salt. This is the only exception to that with the salt. It is a non profit that i left them save the money with that end.

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That's good then.

10. Jeckstine

Jeckstine Member
    from PA

I think in the end I did the right thing. My lots are wet so I am happy. About half the places around us are still white. Bulk salt looked to work much better everyplace else so that is my only concern at this point. I do not have a good way of storing bulk right now so I may have to look into other bagged options.