1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what would you guys pay for this truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trqjnky, Feb 3, 2011.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

I HATE my meyers plow on this truck. i dont want to switch plows, id rather sell the whole works and get a flatbed ford i have my eyes on with a boss plow i know thats for sale cheap...

Selling a 2000 chevy 2500 4x4. mechanic owned, lots of new parts! i got a new truck so i dont need this one anymore.

its the old bodystyle, the k2500, not the silverado bodystyle. body is in really good shape, drivers cab corner has a little rust on it. but overall very good shape.

tires are good on it, replaced last year

NEW PARTS IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS....

-BALL JOINTS
    -2 NEW BATTERIES
    -TIE ROD ENDS
    -FRONT BRAKES
    -REAR BRAKES
    -SLAVE CYLINDER
    -DIST. CAP
    -SPARK PLUG WIRES
    -SPARK PLUGS
    -CLUTCH
    -IGNITION CONTROLL MODULE
    -COIL
    -COOLANT FLUSH
    -TRANSMISSION FLUID AND AXLE GEAR OIL CHANGED
    -OIL CHANGED EVERY 2500-3000 MILES

THIS TRUCK HAS 180,000 MILES ON IT, BUT ALMOST EVERYTHING HAS BEEN REPLACED TO KEEP IT IN NEW CONDITION. I NEEDED THIS TRUCK TO BE RELIABLE EVERY TIME SO I TOOK GREAT CARE OF IT.

standard cab truck
    white in color
    black fender flares
    The engine is a 350 fuel injected vortec engine. plenty of power to tow and haul
    the transmission is a 5 speed MANUAL TRANSMISSION
    4.11 gears in the axles
    bench seat
    chrome nerf bar steps

THE SNOWPLOW...
    7.5' MEYERS SNOWPLOW
    E-60 MOTOR WITH NEW SEALS IN IT LAST YEAR
    The plow is in great shape, no bent frame, no broken welds, has the nightsaber headlights that are really bright.
    I used it a couple times this year to plow my parking lot in front of the shop, just to use it because i like the truck. everything works great.
    This truck has a dual battery setup with brand new batteries.

i was thinking 5300 to the right person???

2. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

I think that is fair. You would make more separating the plow. Id say 4500 for quick sale of truck and 2000 for quick sale of plow.

3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Most things look like maintenance items that would be expected on any 180,000 mile truck. The things that arem't maintenance i don't think could be considered preventive maintenance, you just fixed things when they broke.

4. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Average price on that truck, should be good on gas being a Vortec and a stick. They get 17-19mpg with a slush box so it should be better with the stick.

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Manual trans kills it, at least around here. An auto it would be a $5k truck if I were to sell it, manual $2500, especially with a Meyer. Literally. To get that kind of money it would have to be closer to the beginning of the season IMO. And agreed on the maintenance. It's a great selling point, but won't add a dime to the value.

6. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

3-4k with plow and I wouldn't count on it.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

hate to pop your bubble but you will be lucky to get $3500

8. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i didnt have a bubble. lol. i know it has a **** ton of miles. but maybe ill get lucky and find the right person. i know the new parts doesnt make it worth more, to you, but to some people it does. a well maintained rig is gold in some peoples eyes. 200k with a shitton of new parts is better than 100k with nothing repaired/maintained on it to some people. Not me, because im a mechanic and replacing parts cost me next to nothing. but some people, it does.

i mean, i dont use this truck, hired guy does, so i dont get bothered by the slowness. but if i could get 5 outta it, i could get something better.

BTW, I have had 2 emails so far. lol and one guys coming to look at it this weekend.

9. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

The people that purchase heavily travelled vehicles are usually the same people that know how to fix them.

And honestly fixing things as they break is what everyone in the world does. The value goes down when you don't fix things when they break, the value doesn't go up when you do fix them. Now if you replace the parts with perhaps higher quality components then maybe....

Don't get me wrong, the repairs are certainly worth mentioning, but repairs are something that's expected. Every running, 10 year old, 180k miles truck, has had regular maintenance and parts replaced when they broke, not just yours.

EDIT: and btw i would be alarmed that all the parts are within the last 6 months. Where was this exhaustive maintenance routine prior to 6 months ago?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It seems like you are getting offended by our comments, and none of us meant to come across that way. You asked for our opinions and we gave them. It's great to hear you have potential interest in it. I'm in the used plow/truck business on the side. I was just telling you what something like that is worth here.

11. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

First of all let me say I do all my own work on my truck as I used to be a mechanic.

That being said, when I read about all those things being replaced in the last six months it would scare me off. I know things break, but that's a whole lot of stuff for 6 months.

Plow trucks need to be reliable, and if all those things broke in the past 6 months, the last thing that truck seems like is reliable. That says to me in the next 6 months 10 more things are going to break.

Honestly I wouldn't say that I replaced all that stuff the way you did. Maybe say something along the lines of "rebuilt front end, replaced, clutch, and did complete tune up" It just sounds much better and less conspicuous.

Also despite that fact, I think the price is way too high. I would put it at 3000-3500. The fact of the matter is 200,000 miles is where a truck becomes terribly unreliable and you're just to close to that magic number.

12. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

FYI I paid 3100 for my 98 2500 with 7.5 meyers, E60 pump and only 80K miles 2 years ago. I'd value your truck around the same as I got a good deal on mine.

13. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Pictures will tell alot....throw up a few.

14. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

yea lets see some pics

15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

hopefully you get it sold