1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you guys do?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by illiniplower, Dec 29, 2008.

1. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

Want to get everyones idea on a situation i had come up this week. My father in law and I work together plowing. I have went out and expanded landing us 15 commercial accounts. 10 miles away from all these is a church that my wifes family goes to except me. However last year I plowed it all the time and never got paid. My father in law was suppose to be doing it but with family troubles he doesnt want anything to do with it. Now they called me and said well he doesnt want to do so we told the church board that you will do it!!! I dont want to because we have never got paid and its out of my way plus its a good size lot!! Should I tell them what it will cost and give them a inflated price to get out of it or just plow it for nothing and tell them no more! What do you all think
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Just be polite and tell them your full for the season, give them the number of a few others that may be interested in bidding on it.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Tell them your booked and can't do it.
  4. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

I should just tell them to go get F****D since they try to take advantage of us and treat my father in law like **** because of a bitter divorce!!! Anyways yeah I am going to call a guy in the same town as the church and see if he wants it sure he will take it and going to call them church again and tell them to talk to this guy or get your shovels out and good luck
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

you could also give them a number of someone that plows in that area.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

ooops...I was supposed to be right after GV..

That works as well.
  7. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

Hoping when I call this guy tomorrow that plows in this town he will do it. He plows a lot in this town has the market cornered and he is a friend of mine. And if they screw with him watch out hes a bigger A**hole then I can be.
  8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Why did you not get paid last year for the property?
  9. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

my father in law was suppose to do it because he use to go there and volunteered well i ended up plowing it all last year because for some reason he has lost all intrest in plowing snow
  10. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

What is up with accepting not getting paid for last season?
  11. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I had a couple of PITA customers that I did not want to renew with. What I did was told them my schedule was full for this year and gave them the number of a couple of other people that did plowing in their area. That way no hard feelings.
  12. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

I tried getting paid last year after it was all said and done. Church said oh well your father in law wasnt going to charge us so you need to take it up with him. I was like yeah but I was the one doing it so pay me and work it out with later. Needless to say some harsh words were exchanged and they had the nerve to call me and say hey we have you booked to plow for us this year and on a volunteer basis right and I was like let me get back to ya
  13. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Ya - I would tell them you are all booked up this year and can not drop any paying customers to do volunteer work. Then give them the numbers of a couple other people that do plowing in your area. There should be no hard feelings.
  14. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

thanks for the help guys really appreciate it
  15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Or, if you want to plow for them tell them they need to pay up front. Many of my customers pay up front.
  16. lordstanley

lordstanley Member

not to be a doink but you said you took over for someone who was doing it volunteer basis and now are mad that you didn't get paid. You should be mad at the person who asked you to do it not the end customer who had an agreement that you took over. You in essence took over a contractual agreement to do it pro bono. I'm guessing your upset with the church in general. Bid high or take a pass. my .02.
  17. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

ditto lordstanley

I would quote them a fair price considering my extra travel and leave it at that.

Treating them like crap for treating your father-in-law like crap is no way to be.

I wish my accounts were only 10 miles away.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i fuggin hate working for churches they are the cheapest accounts on earth, and always want work done for free. i refuse to work for anymore churches.
  19. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

see if you can get the padre to publicly thank you and let you hang up posters and stuff.

** this sermon brought to you by k&t **
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  20. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Best advice I have seen here. Tell them to pray for warm weather:)