1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you guys do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jguck25, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

well i seem to have the cheapest people in nh to plow for. they drive me insane.:mad:
    the news is forecasting for a storm tongiht (tuesday) into tomorrow with rain at the end of the storm. It is predicted to dump 5-10 inches of snow when everything is said and done, and then another 4-8 inches thursday night into friday with heavy rain at the end.

well i have had some people call up and say that they do not want to be plowed this storm because there is another one coming so close with a lot of rain at the end of the second one so they are hoping that the rain will take care of a lot of the snow so this way they do not have to pay me for two storms:realmad: and they said if the rain doesnt come and we get the full amount of 18 inches of extremely wet heavy snow they want me to plow it all at once. im about to just tell them that if i have to do that then i am going to charge just as if i had plowed the first storm too.
    so overall what would you do in a situation like this? i hate how cheap some people are. it will most likely be an ice skating rink if i do not keep up with the plowing from them driving over it
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry to say, but call and cancel them now.
  3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I'd charge for two storms
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'll let you answer for the women plowers.
  5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldnt put up with it either, I could see someone calling about 2 inch snowfalls and allow em to accumulate to 6 inches at the most. But ya cant make any money ;on those high amounts of snow unless ya charge em for the one missed. Crazy Crazy People.:dizzy:
  6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

tell em to have fun finding a guy when they have 16" on there drives and its like cement cuz of the rain
  7. plowking15

plowking15 Member

You'd have to charge more,it will take longer to do. It will be harder on your truck then if you did it in smaller amounts. Maybe line up a tractor or loader if real bad. My drive is on a hill,if I let it get 18 inches of wet snow,I'd be using my backhoe along with my truck. plowking
  8. xtremesuperduty

xtremesuperduty Junior Member

Charge them a plow for every 4 inches
  9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I hear that same crap up here all the time............... that is a bunch of hogwash letting them tell you anything as you should have a trigger period and no changing it. You cant let people tell you how to plow or they WILL drive you compleatly crazy :confused:
    I have one guy that is always telling me that he doesnt want it plowed until there is at least 6 inches of snow that he will just drive over it ???? Then he wants it scrapped down to the gravel when I do plow it BS. I just go down when he wants it done and even put the shoes down and shove it off leaving a few inches . He then wants to know why I have the shoes down so far.????? He finally decided to knock it to heck off as he asked me about getting it right back down to the dirt again last year and I told him the only way I could is to bring out the tractor and put the box scrapper on it for $50 bucks! I havent heard anymore about it??? You are going to need to plow with the storm and stay ahead of it so I think you should tell them that and if they say otherwise I would tell em that plowing 18" of cement is certainly not a normal push and you will then need to get extra compesation for it. I know EXACTLY what you are going thru as they plow here for a 6 pack of cheap beer and there is always some moron with a 1976 truck and a beat up old plow that will gladly do it for just that???? So you are not the only one!:help:
  10. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Charge the hell out of them
  11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

And make it C.O.D payup
  12. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I've had similar issues.... I have told them I plow when I plow If it doesn't work for you then find someone else....
  13. Mvplc2010

Mvplc2010 Junior Member

We feel your pain

I know exactly how you feel. I have been in the snow removal business since i was nine or ten years old working with the company my dad worked for back then. since then he has gone into business for himself and so have i. We now plow, shovel and salt 14 commercial accounts and if i were in your shoes i would be out there plowing anyway and if they really wont let you i would ABSOLUTELY be charging double. people need to realize how much we kick our as^@#. and our trucks. It costs thousands upon thousands to be in this business and we cant help the weather. get out there and plow till you cant plow no more.
  14. jb3nh

jb3nh Member
    from eastern

do what you have to do..

For residentials I come through about every 4/5 inches. And that it. If that what you do, then stick to your guns. What if an ambulance or fire-trucks need to get to the front door. If there is no room for compromise and you can afford, shave down your route and save the headache. Not to mention, the town trucks aren't in the business of removing road snow from the head of anyone's driveway. If that stuff freezes... someone is going to have get a tractor out there on wet roads in the middle a storm? Money is tight every for everyone, but gettin stuck looking for a 'spare' transmission or emergency maintenance services in the middle of wet heavy pre-dawn or rush hour snow when its coming down real hard is not my idea of a good time. :whistling:
  15. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

When anyone tries to pull that crap I give them the "haircut" question. I ask them " Why does it cost more for your wife to get her haircut than you?" "Because her hairs' longer" is usually the reply. "And it takes alot longer too ,I'd bet also" I say. They usually see my point right about then.
  16. big acres

big acres Senior Member

That quote is pure gold.

I think your customers are either completely stupid or they think you are. It is one or the other. I have laughed in the face of even commercial clients when they make silly requests like that.
  17. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

To the guy that said prep for a loader, that is such a good idea. So kudos to you, but It does seem kind of a gamble; if you get it before the storm and and all the snow melts, then if you try to get it the day of the storm, then you risk it not being avalible. So seems kina risky to me.
  18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Make them pay ALOT more upfront to plow after the storm or drop them now
  19. starc

starc Senior Member

If your not under contract, which it sounds as though your not. After all that snow has fallen...I just wouldn't show up. Wait for them to call and surprise them with what it's gonna cost not that they let it go the way they did and if they want you back explain how it will work from no on. JMTC
  20. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

well thats the thing, I DO have a contract and it states that it will be plowed if thestorm dumps more than 2 or 3 inches depending on the contract. and i completely agree with the haircut quote, i loved that one haha