1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what would you do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sluggermn, Jan 2, 2010.

1. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

During the big christmas storm I had a lady call me and beg me to clean her lot so she could open her business.
    I went over and checked it out and it was an easy push rectangle lot with lots of area to push the snow, so I said ok.
    the hubby came out and said he would clear out around the parking curbs and the entrance. When he started the entrance I asked him to expose where the curb starts to rise so I would not hit it with the plow and wreck something. The only thing he did was clear out a 4 foot wide path in the middle of the drive. I got out 3 times to check and look for the curb and on my 4th run thru the plow wash in the entry I ended up tagging the curb and snapping the a-frame on the drivers side.
    should I send him a bill, or a nasty letter from a lawyer, or suck it up and eat the expense?
    the parts alone come out to just under $400. the labor is yet to be determined.

what would you do?

slugger

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

sorry to break this to you man, you should have made him expose it, instead of taking your chances, you could have called him and told him it wasn't good enough, i have had similar things happen, unfortunately it sucks but i think you should suck it up and pay for it

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

You gotta eat it, you could have turned down the job, you could have exposed the curb, or made him do it before pushing it off. It hurts but thats a cost of business in this business............

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Fix it and chalk it up to an educational expense.

5. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

agreed. I had to suck it up and pay for it when during a blizzard in 07 some dumb lady told me there were no ditches and i parked my one ton in a six foot ditch...all goes with the territory

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

How hard would you have to hit the curb to break the A frame/ the only thing that comes to mind, is that your stuff was ready to break, anyway. I have hit alot of curbs (as well as other things) in my day, and have even busted some A frames. I can say the A frame damage always done on those that were ready to rebuild anyway. have to SLAM something to bust a plow up like this, and let's look at it this way...If you were at an entrance that you knew borders were near, I would thing extra precautionary measures would be taken. now don't get me wrong, because I'm not knocking you...I am just saying THIS point of view. I know stuff happens. However, as far as you sending THEM a bill for it? Don't even consider it.

7. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Gotta suck it up. sh!t breaks atleast you wont have to worry about it breaking anytime soon as long as you dont hit anything again.

8. dchr

dchr Senior Member

I would not send them a repair bill or anything from a lawyer. The husband should have exposed the curb for you but when you got there and didn't see it I would have got my ass out of the truck and found it. Also as mentioned--if you don't know where the obstacles are--take it slow until you do. I am definetely not trying to say I am smarter or a better plow operator than you or anybody else on this site but how fast do you have to go to bust an a frame? Just curious.
    Hope you are back up and running soon-I hate those call in jobs where you have no idea where anything is-recipe for disaster if your not extra carefull.

9. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

In my point of view it's as simple as this. You decided to proceed even though the owner did not expose the curb as you discussed. When you made that decision to plow anyway, you took on all responsibility for you equipment and the potential damage there to. Would you bill them (for repairs) if you hit a manhole cover and did damage to the plow? I also agree with a previous poster that you knew in advance that their may have been the possibility of damage and if you decided to risk proceeding anyway, you should have done so with caution. If you did I'm not sure how you could have damaged your plow so severely, if at all. Sorry if I sound callus but sometimes the truth hurts.

10. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

Why would you ask him to pay for repairs? was he driveing your truck?

11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

and now you know why I charge one timers a TON of money.
    money losers in the long run because of BS like that.

12. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Where was there plow guy at, did they have one and he would not come out because it was christmas, maybe you could pick it up for full time plowing and recoupe some $$$.

13. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

What I think you should have done is this; you gave him a price and told him that he had clear of the curb. since he did not clean the curb you should have gotten out of the truck and cleared it, and if you really want to be out for his money you could have charged him something for having to do that...

Every owner/operator plow-er studies at the school of hard knocks, this is just part of your tuition...:nod:

14. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I know when the gas companies have something break or go down they raise the price at pumps to pay for it, and we all know how that feels. Unforntunatly(sp?) though, we can't do that. It's all part of the line of work. Stuff breaks, usually it's because we knew better, but did it anyways.

15. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

this is why i dont do favors or plow lots that i dont have a contract for before the storm.
    over the yrs everytime i saw $$$$ signs it usually cost me money

JR

16. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Suck it up and eat it. Live and learn. I don't plow new places in the dark and if I'm not 99% certain of curbs and such I get out and kick around until I am. Been there done that.:nod:

17. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

I went up to him when I started plowing and asked him who usually plows for them and he pointed at him self. to which I replied "I guess it wouldnt do any good to bring a contract back with me".
    I was backing out on to a main highway (hwy 10) and the light a block away had just turned green and there was a semi barreling down the road at me, I was only half a lane from the curb when I went from reverse to drive.
    the a-frame had broken last year and was in bad shape to begin with, I had it welded up (jury rigged) to keep me going last year but I decided to replace the piece this year instead of having to worry if its going to hold up.
    I also am replacing the shock, trip springs and all nuts and bolts and pins just as a precaution.

I figured I was going to have to suck it up, yes I under stand it was my fault for not checking a 4th time to make sure where the curb went up and I have a cushion for just such expenses, that is the way the cookie crumbles!

slugger

18. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

gotta suck it up.....i hit an asphalt ramp snapped the a-frame didnt even hit it that hard on a 2 year old plow. needless to say i had it welded cost me 150.00 vs a new a frame

19. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

last year the boss dealer/truck shop charged me 400 for a repair that did not hold up. oh well

slugger

20. Montosi82

Montosi82 Member

Where was there plow guy at, did they have one and he would not come out because it was christmas, maybe you could pick it up for full time plowing and recoupe some $$$.

x2. Here's a good chance to pick up a new customer