1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JR Snow Removal, Aug 21, 2009.

1. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

Like to say hello first ive been on here since january but have yet to make a post, love this site and all the info.
    Alright i have a 88 chevy 3500 (started with this truck 5 years ago) with a refurb. meyer 7.6 with a 2 year old e-60 and saber lights, truck itself is rough needs a new gas tank most likely a box and rockers oh an back of cab is sitting on the frame, i put a motor in it 2 years ago with 60,000 so it runs great. on the other hand i have a 98 z-71 that looks great and runs awsome and was thinking about putting the plow unit on this truck and selling the 88 for whatever i could get out of it, this is going to be a back-up as i have a 06 2500hd with a boss blade i use now.

what would you guys do swap the stuff out or hold on to the 1-ton and patch her up

thank you

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I think if you went to repair the 88 your just beating a dead horse. Your going to do all the rust repair and the frame will decide to break. I would put the plow on the 98 and beef up the suspension. If you can't do it, I have heard some places will charge upwards of $900 to do it. Then it needs a new truck side mount and wire harness since the new truck is a 98. I would think the truck side mount is different. Leave the old mount on and take the plow and pump for the newer truck.

3. JR Snow Removal

That's what i was leaning towards, I think truck side for the mount are the same i measured them up last night and they are both 27in from inside frame and they look the same as far as i can tell. I could be wrong tho.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Put the blade on the newer truck.

5. JR Snow Removal

well decided sunday i will be swapping the unit to the 98. anyone wanna buy a 88 1-ton... j/k

6. MickiRig1

Around here we have pretty much a rule: If it runs and has working 4X4 it's worth $1,000.
    Might try a price of $1,500 and throw a new $100 gas tank in the bed that they can change. Maybe title the ad: Farm truck / Fire wood fetcher. You should get a few responses.

7. JR Snow Removal

thats what i was thinking. Swapped the mount over yesterday now im going with a handheld control so i need the new harness and controller then the new harness for the lights to hook up. truck looks good gonna have to beef up the suspension she sags pretty good.

8. MickiRig1

Well one of many that can wrench here will get it done! Just beef that baby up and it's good to go! A backup truck is a great thing to have.