1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowGodFather, Jan 14, 2003.

1. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I have a lot that we plow and salt.

It's a wharehouse type place that has buildings on both sides, and trucks parked in the middle area most of the time.

Well Jan 2nd we(I) plowed and salted it.

Today Jan 13th guy claimes we knocked his wheel chock out of his trailer and it hit the "truck" next to it that night.

First I plowed on both sides of the trailer and stayed over 2' away. Second his wheel chock is a piece of wood the size of some one taking it off a pallet and splitting it. Small single axel trailer "with a wheel on the jack".

The trailer hit someone elses truck, and we get a call today about it. One wheel was "missing" a wheel chock and it pivoted into the truck next to it.

I asked a few questions after he gave me his shpeal.

No one saw it happen.

I told the guy to get me a police report, and I want them to see it like he has it sitting they way it it.

So how would you handle this one?

2. MLB

MLB Senior Member

couple of the boyz

pay him a little visit after dark..............

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

All damages must be reported within 48 hrs,I got it on my contracts. Its been over a week,why has he waited so long to notify you?I am suspicious.and since you say you never got within 2 ft of the truck,I would fight this,unless its an extremely profitable account,and its worth you eating this to keep it.How much $$ in damages are they claiming?

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Like John said,what is this account worth to you ? I have fixed stuff that wasn't our fault,or put it threw our insurance,to keep em happy.

If it's not worth it,they probably don't have a leg to stand on without proof.

5. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well i drove for APA trans for 2 years.never seen a trailer or truck roll into something because the wheel chock got knocked off.i also had a part time job being a cdl driving instructor and never seen anything happen to those rigs and they were never chocked.the trailers they had in the training lot most of them didn't have brakes or they had the old style landing gear that had round steel wheels.i also use to plow a CF terminal.the only things chocked there were the trailers at the loading dock.because the forklifts running in and out of them would push the trailers around.

6. dangerousdarren

dangerousdarren Member

a trailer should have a parking brake that applies when the air source is disconnected automaticly, so if someone hit the truck hard enough to push it then there should be at least scrathes on the trailer and corresponding scrathes and dent on whatever hit it, even if the brakes don't work have the release pins in them we aren't talking about a 100 lb utility trailer here, it would take substanual force to move somthing that big, thereby causeing a dent or scratches at the very least. like already said though, depends on what the account is worth to you

7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Any way you can find that trailer & have it's breakes inspected?
    Would look funny in court, him proving you knocked the trailer into another one, while you nail him for having faulty breaks.

The wheel chock sould only be there as a back up to the breaks.
    Could you go back some night & take pictures of the same type of trailers poorly parked?
    There sould have been at least a dent to your truck if you hit it hard nuff to knock it loose into another one.... Come on now, your little pickup being able to move a cemi? Heck I'd like to know what your plowing with if it really happened...

Most of all why would thay wait 11 days to tell you? Somthing sounds extemely fishey... Don't you think if someone was there in the days following they would have at least brought it to your attention instead of simply tring to pass the balme as it seems like?

8. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Throw him off the arch, then contact your attorney. I would ask him what proof he is offering that it was your fault and not a mistake of one of his employees or by kids messing around. He took way to long even if it was what he really thought,, I would never had waited that long to contact.... Something smells, fishy, you know like taking him for a ride, like down the 70 to 64 to the bridge, only you are the only one that makes it to the other side... "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

C'mon folks, pay attention to the original post. This is not a highway trailer with parking brakes. It seems we ARE talking about a utility trailer here. And he didn't hit it and push it into another vehicle, it took off by itself once the wheel was unchocked.

My own reaction to this would be to tell him to blow smoke.

10. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

LOL Thanks Alan! I was trying to figure out why everyone is discussing the idiosyncrasies of 48' trailers with this post, I thought I missed something. Still sounds fishy waiting for that length of time to report it. Although it is possible they had that piece of pallet wood sticking way out from the edge of the trailer, and it does seem theoretically possible to plow it loose from the tire? However it would probably still land right behind the trailer and if the trailer pivoted away, it would probably not go far & be stopped by the piece of wood before swinging far. This detective work is a result of having done exactly this with my trailers in the past. But when they moved, they didn't go far or fast enough to really do any damage to anything next to them. Have them show you the surveillance tapes from that night ;)

11. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Besides which, it would have had to roll through the unplowed snow next to it, and perhaps even a little windrow caused by the plowing. Those little dolly wheels don't like to roll through snow. How much snow was there?

Is this a box trailer or a flat trailer? If it got windy I can see a box trailer being blown like that....

12. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i was on the same page as alan, good thing he posted to clear this up.
    another ?, how long is the piece of wood used for a chock? 6" long 8" long , the reason i ask is the tire is at least 6" wide and if he's using a 6 or 8" long piece of wood to chock the tire you would have to get extremly close to the trailer to knock the wood out. tell him politely that he's full of it.
    dan

13. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

And to think i really thought you had "people" to take care of this stuff?I am dissapointed SnowGodFather:D

14. fordman

fordman Senior Member

It definitly sounds like they're trying to scam you into paying for something you didn't do.:nono: The only way I would pay would be if it's a huge account and the damage is very minimal, otherwise I would just tell him where to go:realmad:. You don't want to dealing with people that try and screw you like this.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2003
  15. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Digger242,
    Good point that I forgot. It was very difficult to move my landscape trailer the last time it snowed.

Dynaplow,
    LGF (oops, I mean SGF ;) ) posted:
    "Second his wheel chock is a piece of wood the size of some one taking it off a pallet and splitting it."
    That would make it potentially 24" long, which if put down with just enough to block the wheel, would leave some hanging out the side that could "potentially" be swept away by the plow (been there, done that LOL). Need to get the video tape to be sure of what happened! It doesn't sound like there is any concrete evidence that SGF caused this problem, and since he is in America, we can assume he is innocent until the evidence proves contrary.

Arc Burn,
    Good point, why was he even bothered with this problem? Sounds like a situation that even Fredo could make go away without having to bother the "boss". :nod:

16. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I'd go down and try to reason with them. Take the plow there and show them how far away you plowed from the trailer. If they still blame you, and it is a good contract, I would tell them that you don't feel you are responsible, but would like to keep them as a cutomer, and offer to fix the situation. I think just trying to reason with them will work.

I had a customer that said I backed into his garage door. I told him it wasn't me, but he didn't believe me. I took the plow truck there, and backed up to the door, and showed him that the dent in his door was 1 ft higher than my bumper. His son later confessed to hitting the door .
    :)

17. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Presently the wheel chocks are 10" wide and it has 8" wide rims.

Police man told him he is SOL. He needs to use better judgment in blocking his trailer off. Since it was done so poorly he must take full responcability for any actions. Since it was parked a an incline with the meathod he has used, he got a ticket also and the plates expired Dec 31st so that is ticket #2. It had both tail light broken so that is ticket #3

It is a 5' X 8' trailer.

18. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

The Godfather has connections.... Don't mess with the family! :cool:

19. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Good to hear. It serves him right for trying to make you pay for his stupidity.

20. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I had a customer that I put a small hole in his garage door. He #1 thanked me for telling him, #2 split the cost with me cuase I told him, #3 made me help him install the new section of door. Total cost $128, out of pocket nothing, gave him credit for mowing.

If I (we) did I would take full responcability.