1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what would you do...

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by kyler, Dec 21, 2008.

1. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

so after we just go dumped on here in the northeast...and after i got my new truck i was thinking of getting a plow...nothing big, prolly just a homesteader or something small. I would be doing my driveway, and my parents have an apartment house on a main road in my town...the house has two driveways. I would also do family and friends driveways...I just think it would be alot better then using shovels and snow blowers on the side of a very busy street...plus my dad is just getting older and I think i would be great to help him out especially becuas ehe has to go to work and plow. I have a 2006 sierra denali. What would you guys do...
  2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

If it makes you feel better than do it . but in the times we are in today it may be cheaper to pay some one . how long do you plan on keeping the truck ?
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  3. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

its a sierra...basically a 1500 with a bigger V8 and some stronger running gear...i wouldn't end up getting it until next winter...i plan on running the truck into the ground...thats why i want to do it...
  4. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

hell of a truck to run into the ground.........make sure you get a light plow, im not 100% on the easy ride frame of a denali.......id get some knock off timbrens for it and some stiffer shocks up front.
  5. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I see that the new denali's don't have true four wheel drive, rather, full time four wheel drive. Does your have four wheel drive? Mine is a silverada, and like the sierra's, offers 2wd, 4wd and Auto 4wd. I cannot plow in auto 4wd and I would assume you couldn't either. At least not very well!
  6. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

When i mean run into the ground i mean im going to own it for a very long time...i didn't mean beating on it. My truck has the same frame as a 1500...no difference. It also has AWD...its a little different then auto 4wd...my girlfriends suburban has auto 4wd. I haven't have a problem with my truck in the snow...goes through just about anything.
  7. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Find a used truck with a plow for the same as you would spend on a new plow for yours and save your truck. Doesnt sound like you have the right truck for the job.
  8. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

I agree w mycirus.... you could then also pick up a few other plow jobs to help pay the costs. Worked for me. Good luck
  9. PA-plow-at-home

PA-plow-at-home Member

Can you or somebody else tell us more about the AWD system, and compare it to the non-Denali Sierra 4WD systems?
    1. Does it operate in RWD primarily (such as with most Infiniti AWD systems), and then send power up front if needed?
    2. Or does it operate in FWD primarily (such as with Haldex systems), and then send power to the rear if needed?
    3. Or does it operate by powering all four wheels at the same time (similar to Subaru or most Audi systems), and redirect power as needed to where traction is best?
  10. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

Check with the local dealer if the truck can handle a plow ine if not you'll be looking for trouble. Certain 4x4 systems don't like the abuse pushing snow can put on the system. The best system is a lock the hubs, pull the lever type. Other auto hub types will work as long as the 4x4 is engaged. The vehicles that engage 4x4 as needed usually are not plow friendly.
  11. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

12. kyler

kyler Member
    from bristol

The AWD system is great... it send 80% power tot he rear and 20% to the front...then when needed sends the power to where its needed...i have have it with one tire on the air without any slippage...
  13. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

I was thinking of the same thing till I did the math. I have a 2500HD 4x4 with plow prep. Priced a plow set up installed, almost $4000.00. I have a $400 per year plow contract for my driveway even with 2 driveways to plow I wouldn't break even for 5years. That doesn't figure in the wear on the truck, my time spent hooking up the plow and plowing, storage of plow during the summer. Unless you are going to plow for money buying a new plow costs more in money and time than having someone else do it.