1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by packey, Jan 6, 2008.

1. packey

packey Member

I plow a condo complex for an HOA. when I got there this morning at 5;oo am i noticed somebody had half plowed out one part of the complex. this is not what frustrates me but what does is the fact that they sort of pushed the snow in the general area where I have been stacking it. Ok they just realy made a big mess ofthe area where I am stacking my snow. This would not have been bad if it was fresh but it evidently had set from around 9-10 last night till 5:00 this morning and had re frozen. I know it could not have been earlier than 9:00 because i was out last night putting ice melt on walks and it had not been done at that time. Waht made me upset is it made it a real pain to clean up this morning. took 2x as long I think I know who did it what would you guys do.

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Why had so much time transpired between your visits to the site? What I would do is get there more often so the residents have the ability to enter and exit at will.
    Do your job properly, and you wont have these issues. It tok you 2x as long, just another lesson taught to contractors who are not on top of their game.
    Dino

3. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Two ways you can look at this,
    1- If the snow was plowed last night why did you wait so long to show up. Maybe a condo owner plowed some of it because he was sick of waiting. If the snow had time to freeze you are plowing way to late.
    2- See who plowed it and ask them why, my guess is reason number 1

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

WTH is some of your guy's problem?
    It snowed at night, he was there at 5am to get the HOA out so they can go to work. It isn't his fault for "not being there", he was there, at 5am.
    Perfectly reasonable
    I'd just move the snow, obviously it's some guy who got lost or got the wrong address and doesn't know how to stack snow. I'd also call the HOA and say "hey, wasn't me, I cleaned it up as best I could, not sure what happened, but I was here taking care of you"

5. plowking35

from SE CT

My problem is instead of doing his job, he comes crying here to us about how some other person screwed his lot up.
    Lets se it happened sometime after 9 pm, cause he was there salting walks.Why didnt he plow it then? Snow is refrozen, thats why it took so long to move. WHy is it refrozen, why did he let it sit so long it had a chance to refreeze?
    If he had been doing his job properly, these isues would never have arising, and we wouldnt be discusing it.
    Dino

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe it was still snowing
    he was salting the walks (not the drives, read the post again)
    maybe the HOA only wants it plowed after it's done snowing (lots do)
    why are you hammering on him?
    I see nothing wrong.
    He salted the walks, make sure everyone can get home, he's there plowing them out in the early morning so they can leave.
    where's the issue?

7. plowking35

from SE CT

Ever hear of plowing with the storm? The very fact that it refroze and made it harder to move prooves he fell down on the job. Its ok, that why I get more work, from contractors who cant step it up when called on to do so. Stop whining about this person or that person did this or that to me in my lot. Do your job the right way and then you wont have these isues.
    The fact is if he plowed the snow before the other person was able to, then no problem.
    Dino

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going to agree with LC. It wasn't like he came back at 9am.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree with LC on this one..
    reread Pacyey's post,

He is talking about the pile that was pushed my the "ghost" plower setting up or refreezing, not the freshly fallen snow or the snow on the road way.

Who said it stopped snowing?

10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I'm just offering advise to his problem. If it had time to freeze then he is plowing to late. Better he gets this kind of info here than from the HOA who coplains and fires him. We can just beat him up a little with advise and it's take it or leave it, no harm done.

11. plowking35

from SE CT

This could be sort of a 0 tolerance vs. customers used to dealing with snow. The folks in Colorado may be more tolerant of snowy conditions.Whereas the uptight East Coasters want to go anywhere at anytime, and dont want to hear" We had 12" overnight and it will take a while to clear your facility."
    My customers expect to be able to come and go at anytime before during and after an event. Yes we do dedicate trucks and equipment to condo's and HOA's just for that purpose.
    Dino

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe someone with a plow dropped someone off at home and made a few passes so their feet didn't get wet.

13. packey

packey Member

It was not the drive lanse that were the problem it was the mess he made out of the area where I put the snow. At 9 pm their was less than a 1/4 inch of snow on the drives at 5:00 am their was 3 inches on drives that were not plowed. Oh it does not take long for stuff to freeze up here. I am not on the east coast where you have warmer temps with snow. As far as falling down on the job I Don't think so what is the problem withsome of you. Zero tolerance. man most of our stuff is snowpack do you know what that is? It is almost impossible to keep zero tolerance the only place who does is the hospital and they have one guy and that is his only job and the only zero tolerance area is the sidewalks and emergencey room drive.

14. jrush

jrush Member
    from ct

He was there at 9 p.m and 5 a.m for 3" of snow. What's the problem? He also said it was a HOA not a hospital, or a place that would be zero tolerance. I'd be p*ssed if some guy showed up and made a mess the property he was'nt contracted to plow. Especially since we don't know what his trigger is, or how the HOA wants the storms plowed, why is the guy getting so much sh*t?

15. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Here is what I would do. You said that you're pretty sure who did it? If so, is it likely to happen again? If not, I would let it go. If it is likely to happen again, I'd approach your contact at the HOA and discuss it with them. Are they having an issue with when or how you plow? Or is it a rouge HO that needs to be told to stop?

16. packey

packey Member

spoke with my hoa rep this evening and they said not only have their been no complaints but that as far as they were concerened that I was doing a good job. I also spoke with the person who created the problem and explained why I was frustrated. It is not supposd to happen again but who knows. Oh the HOA asked for a 2 inch trigger which up here is the norm for commercials like apartments, hotels, shopping malls. My only 1 inchis a dentist.

17. ECS

ECS Senior Member

pk35, people in the west also like to go places when they want to. If we get 12" overnight, no big deal, they will still get out and go anytime they want to and they realize that the bigget the event the longer it will take. He was there well enough in time to deal with 3" of snow. That is not what the problem was as he has already stated so I don't know why you are getting all over him. The way you get all over him is like so many others from the east and one of the reasons I left the east and moved west. I just had to get away from all those whining people who freak out when there is a 10% possibility of a snow shower because they don't know how to drive and think that the world revolves around them.

18. Runner

Runner Senior Member

No, I don't see where he did anything wrong. Just out of curiosity though,...what was the story on the person who did it? Who were they?

19. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Wow, Plowking woke up on the wrong side of the bed today! You are taking this site way too serious!!! Give the guy a break, he is simply coming to this forum to see how others would handle the situation. That's what we do on here...we help and learn from this site. Turning into the "soup nazi" isn't helping anyone.

As far as anybody knows, the time that he shows up to do his account is when he is supposed to. 5am sounds pretty darn reasonable to me. As far as plowing with the storm...maybe this account doesn't have the budget to pay him for multiple trips on snow events.

Anyways, haven't we all had the "mystery plower" show up at one of our accounts for no good reason one time or another.

20. packey

packey Member

The guy who messed things up decided he would clear out his parking place and a few neighbors. He did not realize I don't think how much trouble he caused. Well I am not worried about it now I got things taken care of. People go places her most all have 4x4's or their cars are outfitted with studded tires. It is not unheard of to drive roads or into parking lots with more than 6 inches of snow on them. Up here snow happens and people live with it. those who plow plow as fast as they can to keep up but sometimes keeping up is hard to do for alot of guys. This is only my second winter up here and I to am having to get used to things being different. I used to plow for another guy when I lived in Northern Ca but it is nothing like it is here. I though it would be possible to keep lots down to pavement and not deal with snowpack on my lost but I ahve learned quickly things are different here as well as expectation. If you want to see similar driving conditions for yourself watch the series ice road trucker. it is in canada and we do not get as sever cold as they do but much of what you see on that series is what we deal with.