1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by veggin psd, Nov 10, 2007.

1. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Just a bit frustrated with this situation. Last year I subbed to a local contractor. We didn't get a plowable event until Jan 1st. I often plowed his accounts without his help while he was either was sleeping off a hangover, or installing one:drinkup: This continued throughout the winter and I was paid only $450 for about 50+ plus hours of work. Better yet, I paid the shovelers (friends of mine) because he was broke! payup Anyway, I will not work for him ever again. We agreed to $40/ hr for my time, and his Insurance (which he has NONE what so ever) and I was paid about $9 total/hour. How would you seasoned pro's handle this winter?:angry:
  2. mmplowing

mmplowing Member

Im not sure what you question is....as you stated you would NEVER work for him again. Go out and get your own route and let him watch you roll in the money.

It's very unfortunate that you got into that situation last year, but make sure you never do it again!
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You learned a lesson on subbing,now the big question is Did you learn a lot about plowing that you could use for yourself?
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

go take his accounts and make them yourswesport

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I think you already know the answer. If you learned enough and want to be in business get going before it snows.

If you are just looking for $9 an hour well I am sure there are many other jobs that dont require you to be on call 24 hours during the season but I know that is not your case.

If you dont want to be in business with your own everything then talk to another company that probably knows your story already as soon you say "well last year I worked for ..... and basically did everything myself however I really dont want to experience that again, nor do I want to own my own business ect ect, so I would like to be a sub, and ... " next thing you know you will have another person to work for.

Get goin, if you get your foot in the door fast enough with someone else they may be able to still take on a few more contracts that they might otherwise had to say No to.
  6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

You are obviously a very caring and sympathetic person or you would not be asking. It is important that you understand that you are not at fault here. Alcoholism is a disease and can be devastating not only to the person who is ill, but also traumatic for those associated. I applaud your bravery. It is important you realize that now also be the time to offer your friendship as support to aid him in his battle to recovery. I think it would be great if you were their to help him through this process and your presence may be the encouragement he needs to stop drinking and plow without being oui. I cheer you for you efforts. You can do everything else the same but you probably shouldnt pay the shovelers for him again. Helping him continue with a certain normalcy in life is a contribution toward not only his business but also his recovery. Paying the shovelors could be too much help. Remember, a enabler is a recovery disabler.
  7. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

Screw him. Go get your self a route, and take his customers too. If they liked what you did for them working for him then they will like what you do for you own customers even more.
  8. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

Definition of a business transaction
    Before: One man has money. One man has Experience.
    After: One man has experience and the other has money.
    In other words, you paid for a lesson. If you learned from it, then it was worth something. Personally, I wouldn't sub like that without a written contract so you could have a legal option. At this point it is your word againt his, and that just doenst hold up! I would just start my own business, and go after his work.