1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by krazy, Dec 7, 2005.

1. krazy

krazy Junior Member
    from MN

I am new to plowing for money. I have done it before for a dealership I used to work at. I also have used my fathers truck for sometime to do jobs. Here is my dilemma. My father and I picked up a 94 ford 150 extend cab with a 7.5 foot western unimount on it. It has 130000 miles. It is mint and we had some rust repaired. All fixed and ready, we have 5500 in it. I did not think the rust repair was going to be so high. I have almost ten accounts and have not even advertised yet. I was thinking of maybe getting a used chevrolet half or 3/4 ton and putting a plow on that. The prices I have come up with are around 10000 for a complete set up. Would you run the ford or buy a new chevrolet with less miles and a newer plow setup for the 10000. I will use the truck as a family truck as well. Thanks, krazy

2. westwind

westwind Member

make the money back on the first truck, then think about another one. As long as you have the money gaurenteed in service it should not be a problem.

3. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i second that, if the first truck is just a plow truck, why did you care about rust???, its not like it will look good after a season of plowing, no matter how carful you are plowing scratches dents and beats up a truck.....

4. krazy

krazy Junior Member
    from MN

Truck was a very nice daily driver. Had a couple spots of rust. My father and I like to have our equipment look nice. Even though its a little older, its mint. I thought we purchased it for 3200 and put 2200 in it its not a bad deal. Find a mint 1 owner 4x4 with a plow for 5400. I would like to buy more if you can find them.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you buy another truck try to get a 3/4 ton. They hold up much better. Less wear and tear they don't even notice the work. With a F-150 your right on the edge of breaking stuff all the time.