1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Areajerry, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Areajerry

Areajerry Junior Member
    from WI

A month ago I was asked to bid on an larger apartment complex for plowing salting and sidewalks in the city we do all the rest of our plowing . After an initial walk through they asked me if I would bid on a smaller property they had which was in a different town about 15 miles away. I submitted bids for both properties, and about 2 weeks later they called to say they were excepting our bids, and requested a certificate of insurance and W-9 which I faxed to them. We are expecting snow this weekend, so I called the manager to do a final walk through with a few of my guys that would be doing the plowing @ the larger complex. We arrived and were ready to do the walk through and the manager says that that the only wanted us to do the smaller job in the other town and that someone else would be doing the bigger job.

I told them the only reason I bid on the smaller job in the other town was because of the larger job, and that I wasn't interested in doing just the smaller job. Was I right to tell them that?
  2. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Did you get both contracts returned to you signed ?
  3. Areajerry

Areajerry Junior Member
    from WI

I did not just the verbal, and they said they were going to e-mail them, but didn't.

I had plenty of conversations with them in recent days but they never once mentioned that they only wanted us to do the smaller lot.

The small lot is in a town where we have no other jobs and is I a total different direction that everything else we plow.
  4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I would have said I was going to do that small lot, then waited for them to call asking why it wasn't done. Then I would tell them I never said I would do that one, ever. Then howl with laughter, and hang up.

I really detest being told one thing then being told another the next minute.
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Going this route could damage your reputation and its really not very nice either. That being said, I'd do the same thing! :laughing:
  6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Areajerry >>> You were correct in what you said >>> & welcome to the forums
  7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I think you did the right thing too. The guy doing the big property didn't want the small one either.
  8. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yes, you are absolutely right in telling them that. It's the ole "bait & switch" that they pulled on you.
  9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I had same thing happen to me. I bid on 2 lots one was in my town and other one was 7 miles away in the next town. They called me sign the contact. I get there and the contact was only for the one in the other town.
    I told them If I do that one, I wanted this one or no deal. They said I was double for one in my town. So I ask about other one . They said I was only one to bid on it. I said both or no deal.
    I told them call when they make there mind up. I told them don't wait to long Im filling up. I told them, I had only 3 more open spots and this was in OCT well week ago they called said I can have both. I told them I'm full sorry you waited to long to get back with me so I filled the spots.
  10. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hey, the spots are filled, too bad, so sad for themThumbs Up
  11. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

When your out doing your route and you see the other guy doing it tell him congrats you did it last year and that you have not gotten paid yet and how they play games hopefully hell run too and in the end there reputation will be crap not yours
  12. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I always go with the "Thank you, but no thank you. Maybe next season!" response. Talking them down spitefully accomplishes nothing and says more about your character than theirs. I live in a small town where reputation is everything, the one constant in the snow business is that customers continually shop whether it be this season or next. Property managers change, other contractors get sloppy or raise their rates. If you are in it for the long haul be courteous and move on, it comes back to you eventually.
  13. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Great lesson for us all! After years in the service business, I learned to make all proposals inclusive. Meaning that all items included in proposal must be accepted at the projected rates.

Avoids things like, we'll we accept your sidewalk proposal, or someone else will do salt, ect. We clarify very clearly when proposal is submitted. Often time the person taking the bids forwards to someone else and the things can get changed.
  14. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I agree however in the OP's case they are clearly playing games with him.