1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what would you do?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by getsum, Aug 10, 2011.

1. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

ok im not new to the plowing game and i have a serious advice question/ rant. OK here we go.. i currently have a 1/2 ton truck that i do some 25+ commercial and mostly residential with. I just won a large contract involving 4 good size commercial accounts. Obviously i need a larger truck BUT i want to keep my 1/2 ton for my residential and trade my Jeep.... Now im stuck on if i should go with say for example a 97 F350 and pay it off this winter for my business OR get a nice 08+ say F350 or 06 ram 3500??? the older the truck the more chance of breaking and replacing parts... the new truck has reliability but higher payment and insurance..... NOT SURE WHAT TO DO :dizzy: looking to do a blizzard 8100 or 8611 but would probibly need say a 08 F450 for the 8611... ANY advice from you guys would be great. thanks in advance guys

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Keep the jeep for driveways and trade in the truck for a bigger truck. You will need a backup truck too.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Buy the old one, you have two spares.

4. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

Rent a backhoe for $1000 a month and buy a 12' pusher and you will quickly understand how this business is done on a large scale. Trucks are a thing of the past when it comes to plowing big lots. You want to play in this game listen to me.

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I like 2cor517 advice, one good truck and two backups! Iceman1, way is priceie and you will need a trailer big enuf to trainsport it or insurance and permites to drive it to each lot

6. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

how big are the commercial lots ??? are they close to each other??? do they require salting???

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

There's too many missing details here. Like a lot of the guys said....How big are the lots? How close are they to each other? Do they need salting? Like someone said before, plowing large lots with trucks are going away real fast and the guys who are or have to are being looked at as sub par. Some of these lots can easily be plowed with a couple trucks in about the same time minus the stacking issue. You can rent a loader but need to find a push box but if it needs salting and warrants buying a v box, a half ton truck can not handle the weight. Then where to store and how to load salt.......welcome to commercial plowing!;)

8. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

sorry guys im trying not to give too many details because i got burned BAD here last season by giving to much info. BUT i will say there large gas stations with alot of paved area. they require sand salt at the end of the storm and all 4 are in the same town. i like the idea of the older backup truck. and moving equipment wouldnt be an option. I have plowed these before for someone else a few seasons ago with my 1/2 ton. again i cant spray too many details because of what happend last year. sorry.

9. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

sorry backhoe is not an option now that i have details. I was thinking good size lots were 4-6 acres and I was think all together. Go for truck with a v blade

10. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

hey no prob. i didnt give you much for details Thumbs Up im just worried with a V blade carrying the snow across the lot. im pretty sure a wide out, xls or blizzard are the options im thinking of

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

It doesnt matter what you get as long as you pay cash for it.payup

12. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

this is true!