1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fourbycb, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I have a customer for whom I have plowed there property for 6 years now with out any problem and this season I went out to do there lot and seen another company already plowing. I confronted the driver and was informed that he was told to do the lot.
    Here is my question, When I talked to the company he informed me that he was letting a family friend getting started in the business do it this season and was going to let me have it back next season, Do I assume I will get it back or do I accept that I lost it to the family friend who is prolly low balling me anyways I have no contract it has just been a verable word just do it.
    Do I sit back and when the family member mess's I up swoop in and raise rate's and take over because this other dude has a old truck and looks like a monkey f.... in a bear cage taking forever in a 30 min lot

2. spy0068

spy0068 Junior Member

Without a contract there is nothing you can do about it........

3. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Keep your cool. Maintain your reputation. Forget about it this season. They have your number and will call if your needed. I would check with them early next season and see if you can get the account. A contract is always a good idea.

4. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

I agree with this 100%. The family friend may not work out, or may not be in business next year...Don't burn any bridges, and approach them next fall with a contract and a small rate increase as they will be willing to pay more for the better service Thumbs Up That will also be a prime time to sell them on a multi-year contract :salute:

5. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

I had that happen last night. I went to plow my aunt's driveway, and someone was already there plowing it.
    (And I don't even charge her!)
    Unfortunately, sometimes it is over 24hrs before I can get to her driveway, after all of the contracts are done.

6. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Of all the accounts one could lose, the one that you do for free is probably the best one. lol.

7. dubya

dubya Junior Member
    from NY

Do not be surprised if they come back next year asking you to do the work. It happens to be each year. They find someone else, get burned and sheepishly call me again. Lay a contract on them when and if they do call to do it next season.

8. dubya

dubya Junior Member
    from NY

Do not be surprised if they come back next year asking you to do the work. It happens to me each year. They find someone else, get burned and sheepishly call me again. Lay a contract on them when and if they do call to do it next season.

9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

you can say that again