1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick76, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I serviced a few Cumberland Farms over the past few years. Ferrandio and Sons came in and low balled the crap out of them. I came back with a bid for them but they wouldn't budge on their figure. I declined to do them. The SOW clearly stated that the lots are to have salt only. After doing some site checks the other night on my own accounts, I noticed that all of them were being treated with sand. This gets me pretty irritated as I bid on these accounts with salt like the SOW calls for. Now this other contractor is cutting corners (go figure) and isn't going by the SOW. What would you do? Call Cumbies corporate? Call the National? Speak to the store managers and let them know they are to be getting straight salt only? or do nothing?

Just curious as what others would do.......

2. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

I would just smile as I drove past and not say a thing, It'll work its way out.

3. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

I have to agree with JB1 just let it go. Sand does nothing like salt on ice so just be ready when they have problems so you can come to the rescue.

4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

How well do you know the manager?
    Maybe talk to him off the record.

In the end, hopefully they will find the level of service is not what they desired and call you back.

5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

You may be surprised by my response but I take pictures, and forward them to the appropriate people. It may do nothing at all, but I consider its theft, and report it.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have took pictures also but never done anything with them. I might after you mentioned it though.

7. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Sorry, it's not theft.:laughing:

8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Call it fraud! Same thing, they pay for a service they don't get!

9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Im with Neige....I would take pictures and forward them to Ferrandio and Sons...Atleast let them know that the contractor is not living up to the specs. of the contract...If they do anything about the matter is a different story....But, atleast they have been made aware...

10. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Or maybe the company that won convinced them to use sand instead of salt and got the contract that way. You didn't see the final contract that was signed, not the proposal for bid which is different and could have other terms. Me, I wouldn't do a darn thing but drive by and shake my head. That's their problem, not mine.

11. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Maybe you should take all this time and effort you are putting into crying over a lost account and put it into something else. Like say, finding new accounts ? Just a thought i had but what do i know.

12. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I would take pics of there work. That way next year when you rebid it you can show them why they got such a cheap price. Use it against the low bidder. Don't notify any one. You want the element of surprise. It kinda hard to lie about using salt when there are pics of sand all over the place.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  13. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I don't believe he is crying over the accounts. He was asking our opinion on the situation. But thanks for the great input.

14. nekos

nekos Senior Member

And i gave him my input, don't waste your time worrying about some account looking for the lowest price. Instead put your time and effort into finding profitable ones. Granted i didn't word it like that but the message is still the same.

15. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I thought about doing this

I agree

Ferrandio probably won't give a s..t but I might do it anyway

I tried doing this same thing to lower costs...they stated SALT ONLY...go figure

I don't think I was "crying" at all

Thing is Cumbies is working with a national now... all they care about is the bottom line

:nod:

16. nekos

nekos Senior Member

17. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Nekos the OP was not crying over losing the account he was just asking what others would do if the SOW was not being respected. I take it very personally when I lose accounts to others and then they don't respect the SOW. It really does not take much effort to record and email the details. Most times it will make little difference, but I take my business seriously. If you get one of my accounts and respect the SOW, well then good on you. Take one of my accounts away, and cheat on the SOW so that you can justify your price. Well then its my place to say something. We had municipal contracts go this year with very specific details. They specified minimum equipment sizes and age (nothing older than 10 years), and I lost them all. Do you really think I would be doing my company any good, if I did not report that the contractor was using older, and other than specified equipment. This is business, don't play by the rules and someone will hear about it. I know the same applies to me.

18. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

19. nekos

nekos Senior Member

20. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

This is the problem when those of us that play by the rules and try to keep the industry standard at a professional level, then some hack comes in and does what they want! Would I waste much time on it Mick? Probably not, unless I was having a few cold ones at the shop after a long days work, and got bored.... Yes might easily happen! Like you guys have said it probably won't do much good anyways. Heck even if your tight with the manager they might not even have any say so on the matter now too! That's the problem when these corporate companies control things like this. My wife runs a local big box store. She has absolutely no say on her snow removal, only to call and complain if its not done right or on time. Prior to this promotion, she was the district loss and prevention manager for over 10 stores and same thing. Only contact numbers if it wasn't done right, and who to contact when there were slip fall claims. Absolutely no control is ridiculous!