1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do? Urgent!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Jun 22, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Well, we put money down on a truck today and I'm having second thoughts and need some help from you guys.

The truck is a 2002 Chevrolet 2500HD ext. cab, short box. Has towing package and plow prep package. $28,000. Very nice truck, should have no problems plowing but how often will I utilize its full plowing potential (am in MN)? Is it worth the cost?

OR

Use the '95 Tahoe with some load boosters and a lighter weight Sno-way plow. The Tahoe does have a tow package and Transmission cooler.

I am driving myself nuts thinking about this and need advice from the pros.

Thanks,

Joel B.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I don't think any one can tell you on money matters what to do but as far as plowing with one of the two the 2500hd will be better because it has a heavier front end for a biger plow you can put a sander on the back .Plus you will be all set for doing landscaping in the summer.But the tahoe can do you well to rmember all the guys that had and still have plows on there full size blazers .If it's a money mater ,not having enough it will be only about 4K for a plow with load boosters on your truck.

3. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Joel, I would say under a normal winter pattern, MN gets plently of snow, but we all know we haven't had normal patterns over the last three years. This isn't saying at any given time MN might get dumped on during the winter season. If you do lawn maintenance I would figure in the long run the 2500HD would be a better vehicle for you as well when plowing will allow you to put plenty of ballast in the rear. You may want to outfit it with a small slip in spreader or full size tailgate spreader, you are limited with the Tahoe to a Class III reese adapter type spreader.

4. leprechaun_50

leprechaun_50 Member
    from SW Minn

IMO Go with the 2500HD.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Hmmmmmm...

Shades of Cappaj1;)

6. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Don't look back

You made the right choice ;) don't second guess yourself.

7. TRINITY

TRINITY Junior Member

I am one of those guys with a k-5 Blazer that has a plow. I love plowing in it especially the smaller lots and driveways. I would not hesitate to plow with a Tahoe but keep in mind that putting a snowblower in back gets kind of messy from the snow melting off of it and getting salt out to put in a hitch mount spreader is a pain.

8. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Joel, with these type of business that you are going to be running, you will be better off with 2500HD. You made a good decision.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Joel, I just went back and read all your posts. While no one else can make a business decision for you, I would say you made a good choice considering what you've said about your overall situation. You can afford it, you want to keep the Tahoe in good shape and you've done your research. You've made a decision, now stick with it and don't second-guess yourself.

Good luck and hope for snow.

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Mick is right ,like i said before in my other post you are the only one who can can make decide on how to spend your money.But getting a 2500 is a step in the right direction for the business you want to be in.

11. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Give yourself some time in the new 2500 and you will be asking if you should go bigger! You won't regret the 2500 at all.