1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what would you do??...plowsite deals???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dissociative, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

hey guys.....here's the story...i traded some strobe stuff to a guy early this season for a joystick controller for my straight blade.
    I got the controller and it worked fine for like 8 events. The it started giving me grief intermittently not working, and very soon after my solenoid stuck on and burned up my motor.
    It was never determined what was the cause other than a sticking solenoid that must have gotten really hot i guess...But i also totally lost the up function on the joystick that was giving me trouble initially when this happened which i thought was weird...
    After a while, the guy replaced the joystick for me which i thought was a cool move considering everyone was telling him to just blow me off.

Problem is, this is what showed up.....now i went ahead and took a video hoping to squash the whole "your trucks messed up" theory. I also had the installer go over my truck COMPLETELY TOP TO BOTTOM when the solenoid stuck and they gave me a completely clean bill of health on the truck other than a "alleged overheated" solenoid that stuck on. The plow was brand new last year...it's PERFECT

SO, now what do you guys think?...kind sucks i only got 2 months use out of this controller......and the replacement is completely DOA. ..he's a well respected member here and i don't want to add drama to anything. But i was wondering what you other guys though is the right solution to this?...What do i do here?...

do i just take a loss?...never tell anyone ??

i needed a place to post the video so he can see i'm not b.s.ing...

[​IMG]
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i439.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid439.photobucket.com/albums/qq117/3802george/c5022a34.flv">

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. jimz2500

jimz2500 Member

The video says it all.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

indeed, bad.

4. Dissociative

so, how do i approach this?...am i owed anything?

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Prolly is a circuit board as 3 functions aren't working. It may sound stupid, but jiggle the heck out of it, and do it hard enough like you're going to break it. Usually the problem is only 1 function, not 3, but it works 9 times out of 10 when it happens. I've mainly had them not go down, jam it up and down a bunch of times and whatever it is, they come unstuck. Just a thought.

6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

ok how much was the lights worth. if they were less then a new controller then no you got a used controller cant warranty used parts............

7. Dissociative

it has 4 tiny DP switches inside mounted on a green circuit board....being aggressive is not the answer..;-)

8. Dissociative

it was discussed that i gave him 100 off his order

9. Dissociative

i'm just upset because i was told "this is coming out of my truck and works perfect" and you all see the video....

like it got broken in shipping.....sure....or like i broke it by plugging it in.....sure...

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I hear ya, but I've done it with sucess on at least 10+ used controllers. Again, usually only for 1 function not 3, but I have no reason to lie about such a thing.

I have about 20 of these pass through my hands a year with used plow sales and they have to work when they leave.

11. Dissociative

i guess.......what can it hurt?....seems crazy but i'll do it...wtf..

12. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

If it worked for 8 events it was working when it was traded. No way of knowing it was going to go bad. Just bad luck.

13. Dissociative

HEY H20...IT WORKED!!..

after some angry left to rights it sounded like a snap or something in the controller and now it works...

why do they do this?..and how can i solve it?..is it almost broken or do they do this often and need rough treatment to knock off dirt?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lol! Awesome!!!! I honestly think it is the dirt thing, maybe spilled coffe and stuff over time. I suppose a blast with the blow nozzle or maybe even disassemble and a careful cleaning with some contact cleaner wouldn't hurt. Great to see it's solved..........well, somewhat. :)

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lol, don't be giving away my secrets! I'll buy all non working Western joysticks!!! :cool:

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Wow, that was quick, good thing you were here tonight. Cheap fix.

17. Dissociative

No kidding....

I bet the one i sent him back is just fine too....same thing was happening