1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what would you do next

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by RSK, Mar 15, 2008.

1. RSK

RSK Senior Member

Hi Everyone

I plow this one lot and have not got a payment from them for 60 days and ever time I go there the guy I have to talk to is not there they tell me he is off today 4 days in a row what ever. The one bill is for $1500 and the other is for $2500 should I add late fees to there bills ? how would you guys go about getting the money? Thanks:mad:
  2. F550SNOWAY

F550SNOWAY Junior Member
    from PA

I feel your pain......3 of the Nursing Homes that I have are owned by the same company. They haven't paid yet this season! Their bill is well over $10K

EVERY week I call and send them a registered letter. I keep copies of what I send them, so if I have to take them to court, I can show that I made multiple attempts of letting them know that their bill is due. I stop by when I can and talk to one of the supervisors. I don't wanna stop plowing/salting cause I might loose out on some of the money. A guy that works for me, his sister works at the place in question and she heard that thy pay once the season is over. Good Luck Brother!!!!!
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

wat dsoes your contract say the will pay by... 1 week....2 weeks.....??? add a late charge...you mite not gte it but mite kick them into gear...but idk if u can add it in if you dont have it in ur contractc...
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Add a late fee. Go to a lawyers office and have them file a small claims case. The customer will have 20 days to pay before the case goes to trial. If it goes to trial then you can add attorney fees and court costs too. I did this and got paid immediately. Most customers do not want to go to court because they will lose. This is how it works in Iowa. Check with an attorney for your state. Good luck tho.
  5. FteNelson

FteNelson Member

we charge 4.5% interest every 30 days

thats just what we do

but thats also in are contracts that they sign
  6. RSK

RSK Senior Member

thanks guys for the info
    I am going to go there monday and see if he is there
  7. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

Call their office every weekday without fail and speak to a live person and tell them you require payment on their overdue account. Send the invoice and a note asking when you can expect payment.

Better yet, if the place isn't too far, drive there and don't leave until a manager talks to you. Expect either a cheque or a meeting with the manager. Tell them that you cannot operate your business without getting paid and that when services are provided, payment is expected.

Squeaky wheels get the grease first.

It is harder to collect from those kinds of people when spring is here and the snow is gone. People forget what we do for them!
  8. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

lien the property. lol. we have done it before. gets people to pay really quick. but then again its stated in the contract. payment it due 15days after bill is sent out. after 30 days you get a 5% late fee. after 60 days we reserve the right to bring them to court lien the property whatever it takes to get paid.
  9. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

Next time it snows, don't show up. No doubt you'll get a call in a hurry, at which time you can explain your problem.
  10. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

A.) Call and tell them you need a payment TODAY or service will be Terminated.

B.) Send them a certified letter via USPS saying they need to pay within 7 days to avoid termination and/or being forwarded to collections and or legal action....

C.) Show up at the office demanding payment as services were rendered. (you don't go to the mall and pick out clothes and tell them you will pay them later do you?)

D.) If they don't pay, plow their doors shut! (actually I don't recommend this, and have never done this, attempt at your own risk).
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Send "the Letter" certified, then file suit in small claims court. Check into it before hand remember in some states an attorney is required for Corporations unless you file the proper paperwork to represent yourself. if you have a good contract and records then it should be wham bam thank you judge, if they let it get that far. Don't forget to list your filing fees and other costs in the suit. The judge can't award them if you don't ask.