1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do? Keep 6'-9" stock, add pro wings to 6'-9" or move up to a 7'-6" ?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by ken643, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Hey guys, as a lot of you have seen in my videos I have a 2004 Rubicon and a fisher LD 6'-9". I am really looking to get more done and especailly fight the trail off problem. The way I have it really works well and I am probably nuts to even think or try and modify it, but I thought I would get some opinions from everyone. I can leave it how its is and has been for the last 3 years working pretty dam good, or I can add buyer brothers pro wings for $200.00 plus install. Or I can swap out my mold board for a new 7'-6" mold board with steel cutting edge of course for a $1000.00 even. Is it worth it for get the extra 9 inches of cutting edge on the 7'-6" ? The 7'-6" does add a little more weight, however I am not driving on highways and stay local within a 4 mile radious at low speeds and I already have timbren blocks installed. The pro wings from what I am told add 20 inches total. Problem with pro wings is with deep snows I opfen use the plow edges and corners to dig/open ends of driveways blocked in by the town plows, not sure they will hold up. I was at the dealer the orher day he can do either for me or leave it alone?
    Thanks Fellas!! :confused:
    Ken

2. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Pro wings for the money, $200 isnt that bad to "try" something out. I've heard good reviews of the Pro wings working well for residential applications which is why I went to them. They also allow you to cup the snow a little more. From your statement your looking to fight the trail ends the most, which no matter what straight plow you get thats available for your rig, wont curb those. The pro wings allow you to extend your plowing area a little and also curb the trail ends....two birds one stone. I know Ill be taking it a little easier around the obstacles but I think they are going to work just as well as others have had them work.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

7' 6"p-low for sure

Ive plowed for 26 years with jeeps. the first year I had a 6'6" plow Had an F150 with a 7'6" plow on it, found out the plow would fit on the jeep tried it once ..... for the last 25 years Ive used 7'6" plows. wont go back.

PS but then I HATE timbrins use air shocks

4. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Plowmeister, I do respect your opinion, lets face it from what I read when it comes to plowing with Jeeps, YOU ARE THE JEEP MAN. and I am leaning that way (7'-6"), pro wings have mixed opionions. I was actually at the dealer again today by chance picking up my friends truck with new plow. I asked the mechanic not the owner, and he doesnt care for the pro wings. Timbrens were already installed so that is what it is, I really dont mind them.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If the stiffness of the ride dont bother you AND your not going off road .... Who am I to complain.
    (timbrins will significantly reduce your up wheel travel, and since having ALL your tires on the ground is what gives you traction)...

6. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

Ken go with the pro wings for this season cheap investment with good gain then next yr get a 7ft6 plow
    i picked up title last nite for my 88 jeep wrangler with a 6ft6 plow already installed and ready to go i will be ordering a set of prowings as soon as i get back from florida.

7. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

Well ken ,I dont have a jeep yet but will in future.I had a snowdogg 6'-8 ' and 2 years ago i decide i wanted a 7'-6" md and i sold my moldboard like your talking about and only put 300 out for mine.If you just plowing your own driveway i would stay with it but you plow to make money .I would spend the extra now because I think you would be better off . Then sell your old mold board im sure someone out there as a old rusted out one and you will recoupe some money .Good luck

8. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

I just look at the return on investment for the cost this year. I'm in a slightly different boat then you as i have 6"'s of plow more from the get go but I will say that for the money the pro wings fit my bill and I'm hoping that they will work out for me. When first snow falls here Ill be posting my review be it good or bad. If you try them and they dont work for you or you dont like them, then you could easily get rid of them for $125 or so.

And for the record this is what I based a lot of my decision off of:

http://reviews.northerntool.com/0394/10407/s-a-m-snowplow-blade-wings-model-pw22-reviews/reviews.htm

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

They are well worth the money just for the extra width. Lots of other benefits from them also.

10. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

All good info, I have some thinking to do. The reviews on northern tool were all positive. Thanks for all the helpful thoughts guys.

11. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I decided, for $200 bucks they are worth a try. If they dont work well, then I go for the 7'-6" thanks everyone for your help!

12. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Im fabbing up 6" extentions for my western for the same reason. Ill post pics here when done. Ive had the extentions and they didnt hold up on curbs.

13. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Great, Please post pics love to see what you come up with.Thumbs Up

14. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

6" extensions...day one. Same 1/8" skin, same angle top and bottom. Will be as strong as original. Skin is welded to extisting continuously all 24" Ill post more when done.

IMG_20121204_144338.jpg

15. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I got my Pro Wings yesterday, I hope to install this weekend.

16. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Pro Wings Installed

Well fellas me and my friend installed the pro wings today. As with anything that is a "universal mount" there were a few challenges. One main one was the Fisher spring mount it was exactly behind where the big pro wing stud goes through and the flat black washer that goes over it have to be trimmed. Instructions are not the greatest, you literally go by the pictures. We feel it looks pretty good and installed correctly or as best correctly as we could get them on. I think they will work out well. Now all I need is some dam snow.. Thanks again for all your suggestions, they did indeed lead me to my decision.:salute:

wings2012-12-08_17-49-07_448.jpg

wings2012-12-08_17-50-02_770.jpg

wings2012-12-08_17-49-52_426.jpg

wings2012-12-08_17-50-12_728.jpg

17. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Awesome! It looks great! I have to repaint my plow blade and we'll be ready to roll. I picked up another account today so Im looking forward to this winter. Let it snow!

18. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Thanks, Now I am dying to try them out, lol Thumbs Up

19. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

If you ever have to replace the rubber edges or if you just feel like redoing something for kicks and giggles, I would recommend remounting the rubber so that it lips onto the blade cutting edge by a couple of inches. I see a lot of guys complaining about Pro Wings being susceptible to tearing off the rubber, but when I see the pics so many guys have the rubber out to the side like you did it. I have not had a problem with mine since I moved them in a bit. Just having that steel edge behind the end of them really keeps them from bending back.

Just my own opinion of course. Try it first and if you don't like how they bend back move them.

20. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion. Ill see how it goes and keep and eye on them, Obviously the rubber portion is the weak link.:salute: