1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do if you where given a F-450 rear axel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by itsgottobegreen, Sep 13, 2006.

1. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I ran into a buddy of mine today. He asked me if I wanted a rear end out of a F-450. He said he got tried of tripping over it. Heck yea. :D Now what to do with it. Its got the 4.88 gears. He doesn't remember whats wrong with it, but it was replaced under warrenty by ford and his buddy at the ford dealer gave it to him.

So my thoughs. Unless anybody has a better idea

Find:
    F-450 front end
    F-450 shocks and springs
    F-450 rims (x6)

Ripe the axels out from under my F-350 dump truck and shove all this F-450 stuff under it. Then the only thing that bugs me about my truck will be fixed. :drinkup:

Sounds like a lot, but not really. I thing father fred, I might need your help since you how to do this. With your F-450 4x4 convertion.

2. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

My f-550 just needed new bearings at under 100k. Just replace the whole thing alot easier. If I was to keep the truck knowing what I know I would have sold it and had a new driveshaft made and used a GM.

3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

its worth a pretty penny if you sell it.

4. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

Yeah and from what I hear alot of people need them.

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I haven't heard anything of the sort.

Where do you get this stuff???

6. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

The local rear end shop as they replaced mine and 2 others the same week. They said there are so many problems with them that they keep 2 ready to go. Another shop, I called, All I said was I need a rear end for my 2002 and before I could even finish he said FORD. He said he works on them all the time. Funny thing though when someone dropped a golf course water pump in front of me and broke my chevy they asked. How did you break it and no body stocked one.

7. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

with over 40 trucks in our company also all the tow trucks my buddies use are all ford and NONE of them have had any problems like you ***** about all the time.Also the rear end is a dana unit in the ford and is not made by ford.chevy also used dana for years also. Sorry for the rant but this is getting way out of hand. So your truck had problems sell it and move on.

8. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

Yeah right, no problems! Good news FORD closes 2 more plants. Why lie these trucks have so many TSD's. Do you really not care how many people effected by FORD's lack of responcibility? I can't afford to sell it yet I am still financing lie cheat and steal policy. Major companies that only look out for themselves at others expenses, in my opinion need to be shut down! Ford dealers are allowed so much in warranty and after that if they go over their hourly payscale drops bigtime so they don't like to warranty big items, even if there is a national recall. Sorry 84!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  9. tanker6

tanker6 Member
    from CT

F-450's use dana 135 rear ends. And whats a TSD? at least find out the correct names of things before you start shooting out things you have no idea about.