1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do? Garage door damage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NThill93, Feb 4, 2014.

1. NThill93

NThill93 Member

Just looking to see what other people would do in this situation.

Plowing a driveway that I do all the time, I know the driveway well. While plowing about 3' away from the garage door(perpendicular to the door) I noticed the garage door getting pushed in, so I stopped and noticed there was a 3'x3' piece of bluestone laying in front of the door and ended up pushing it in pretty bad. There was about 8" of snow on the ground so it wasn't visible at all. The owners son was removing bluestone from the house a few weeks before and left it there right in front of the door.

So what would you guys do? would you pay for a new door, tell them too bad or try and fix it?

2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I'd probably reason with them and go halves..

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Hey, I'm all about being honest and forthright about damage that is your own fault. This IMO, is the sons and owners fault for leaving the stone there and not letting you know. Their homeowners insurance should cover it. You should not have to pay for that.

4. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Yes I agree with that. How were you to know that they did that?

My contracts specify we are not responsible for damage due to object hidden below the snow. I think thats common sense, but there is some of that missing these days....

5. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

That's a tough one, but I'm leaning towards the homeowner being on the hook for the repair, not you. You have plowed the driveway many times without incident, and there is no way you could have known that there was an object carelessly left buried in the snow.

Just out of curiosity, why were you pushing snow towards the garage door so close to the door? I am in no way insinuating you were being negligent, just curious.

6. NThill93

NThill93 Member

I was pushing perpendicular to the door with my bobcat. If I had pics it would be easier to explain the layout but the driveway goes past the garage door and keeps going so I was pushing towards the back of the driveway.

7. NThill93

NThill93 Member

I talked to the homeowner after it happened explaining what had happened just so you know the owner no longer lives in the house just one rental above the garage, but i didnt want to hear it from her i would rather tell the owner. I agreed to try and bend it back out once the snow dies down and there isnt much going on. she understands totally and her son got the heat not me. just curious to what you guys would do.

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Depending on the style of door replacement panels/sections aren't that expensive and easy to replace. I know this thanks to my wife hosing her door up.
    Sounds like you have a pretty good account there and I'd split the cost of the repair with them. Yes the kid set the stage for something to happen but it could be a gray area unless you have a section in your contract that says something like; damage to property due to being hidden by snow is the property owners responsibility.

9. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I'm glad they didn't blame you for it, not that is was your fault anyway. I would have explained what happened to the owner and went from there. I wouldn't cover the whole cost but maybe help fix it, if they were understanding of what and how it happened. If the owner would have flipped out at me about it, I wouldn't be that nice back to them.

10. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I agree that the first thing to do is talk to the owner, and let the response determine the solution. If the owner goes on a rant immediately, it is time to assess whether it is worth eating the loss, or losing the account by stating the obvious, it wasn't your fault, and you shouldn't be held liable. If the owner is reasonable, discussing a split, or using homeowner coverage should be discussed.

11. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Ok, so sounds to me like you can give it a few kicks from the inside to try to pop it back out. Whether that works or not, your part of the deal is done at that point.

12. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

Maybe offer to do the work for her if she buys the materials?