1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you choose for a Residential Plow Truck.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stuffdeer, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Ok guys.

Need your opinion. I'm going crazy looking for a truck that would suit me.

I have two needs though.

1. My ATV can clear the average driveway in 4 paths. (60in blade) So, I need to stick with a 7'6" or a touch bigger or smaller. I'm possibly looking at a snoway just because of the Down Pressure Feature.

2. I have to be able to tow a 5x10 to 6x12 trailer during the other months for my Lawn Service.

Give me what you got, and what'd you buy.

I'd like to limit my spending to $15,000.

2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I know you could get a used Ranger for less then that. We have a 2007 and I don't drive it, but I do like it for driveways. We have not had anything more then a couple inchs though, so I don't know how it would do in the heavier snowfalls. I would at least look into one, or a jeep. We have a 720 Blizzard on it, and I have been in it one time while plowing and found the blade quite light, it really tripped easily and really made alot of noise on the interlocked roadway that we were doing. All I have ever plowed with is an ATV, 810, and 8611lp, and I would have to say it felt like plowing with the ATV over the bigger trucks... but I guess that is how any light blade would be. It does backdrag fairly nice though.

Jon

3. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I thought about a ranger or another S-10, and I could probably pick up a Loaded S-10 EXT Cab, for less then 10k.

I would love a Jeep, only problem with them, is I can't tow anything over 1500lbs with them.

4. Easy

Easy Senior Member

Think about a Dodge Dakota. A bit bigger, maybe better depending on how much snow you get.
    Don

5. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Thats a good idea. I like the Dakota's, but the main reason I was leaning towards the S-10 is because I already have the 2wd, and I love it.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

With these smaller trucks, I dont think a 7.5 footer would be good on their front ends. You will be looking at a 6.5 footer for this size rig. S10's with the ZR2 off road package are very strong trucks. If you go with a truck this size, get a set of timbrens for the front of it, and throw some weight in the back. Take a look at Boss's sport duty plow. It is a tough plow and light in weight. I think the rest of them make small plows as well. Why not get a 1/2 ton truck? This way you can get a small V-8(5.3 liter) under the hood to have that extra power for plowing and towing. Plus you can get a 7.5 plow on them with no worries. My 3/4 ton with a 7.5 footer does nose dive a little, like two inches. And it has much heavier duty front end than a S10 or the like. just my $0.02

7. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Do you think you could do residentials with your truck?

8. salopez

salopez Senior Member

03-05 chevy 2500 (non hd) extended cab short bed with 4ws.
    then run a blizzard 810. narrow enough for the drives and wide for parking areas.

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I do 20 residential drives in my truck. Most only take one swipe or so. They are very easy to do with my truck. Some only take me 5 minutes to do. I do both residential and commercial with mine, so I need the 3/4 ton

10. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Thats what just convinced me to stay with my ATV then. I can do a Residential in under 7 minutes flat.

Thanks!

11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Well yes an ATV is alot better than a truck when doing residential drives. It is smaller and can plow small areas faster. Plus you said you are using a 60 inch blade right? Plus it takes me a little longer cause I dont want to tear up grass or anything else. You are right with just staying with the quad for res. drives. I hope I didnt sway you the wrong way, I was just being honest

12. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I thank you for your honesty. My current truck is fine right now for towing, and with the ATV, I'm all set.

Nope, no swaying here, I'm glad you responded how you did.

13. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I used to plow my drive with a 60 inch plow on an ATV, took me forever (half hour or better). I can do it in ten minutes or less with my truck. I would think you'd want as much truck as you can get for the money, and with $!5k you can get anything. I've seen 4 year old 2500HDs that cheap. A Ranger or S-10 will plow snow, but they aren't built to take the abuse long-term like a 3/4 ton or above. As far as residential driveways, a half-ton is not too big. I plow driveways with a longbed extended cab dually, not the ideal driveway rig but it works for me. If you're looking for something small for it's maneuverability, go with the Jeep first, way better built than a mini truck and ten times more fun. The Wranglers are conservatively rated to tow 2000#, you can easily do up to 3000#, and you're trailer size won't get up that high anyway. I plan on getting a Jeep this spring and will try it out with my lawn care trailer, mine's 16 feet 7000# GVW. With my mowing stuff on it I think I'm still under 3000#. But a bed is nice to have to throw stuff with the lawn care biz too. A nice half ton short bed is pretty maneuverable too.

14. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

What year Jeep are you planning on getting? I'd love to get one of those. If I did get one, I'd probably throw a Snow way 6'8" on it.

A 2000-2002 TJ Rubicon are nice, and they have the rear locker with Dana 40's.

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What about an older k5 blazer in good condtion?? They are based on a 1/2 ton frame and have a solid front axle. Also v8 powered. just an idea Or even an older bronco like BNC has

16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I use a Jeep Wrangler with a 7 1/2 RD fisher. have been for 20 years (difrent Jeeps) I have put over 250k on my second Jeep 80K on my first and 120K on my present Jeep. I have replaced 2 sets of ball joints in all that time. I get about 40 ~ 50k out of tie-rod ends. I dont know about towing but for plowing you cant beet them!! (yes, I started plowing with an F150, I know).

17. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

In time you will grow.....

Regular cab short box 4x4 1500,2500.(full size)

7.5' Snoway or other system with down pressure.

In time you will grow in size and take on other clients. A smaller 1500 truck will open most doors (commercial and residential). With an addition of a small tailgate salter you can go after clints with a zero tollerance snow and make even better coin.:nod:

Plus you could haul your ATV in the box, and still pull your trailers in the summer.

Good Luck
    DAFF

18. Summerlawn

Summerlawn Member

I have a 2003 Chevy S-10 with a 680 Blizzard plow I want to sell. Truck has 52,000 miles on it and was perfect for residential drives. I would be around $12,000 for both.

19. ameyerman

ameyerman Senior Member

i agree with mark13. we have a k-5 blazer and it works great. :nod: turns on a dime, able to get in and out of areas where a half ton short bed won't. good luck payup

20. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Like DAFFMOBILEWASH said, get something you will grow into, not grow out of. If you are planning to get bigger, you will need a bigger truck to do work with. just some food for thought