1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you charge for this ...?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KLMlawn, Jan 21, 2003.

1. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I got a call from an older lady requsting a "remainder" of the season contract. She has a short drive, about 30-35' long, and a 15' walk with a few steps leading up to a small deck in front of her house.
    Here is the problem ... it really can't be plowed because she has a 4' wide grass median down her drive, with the 2' wide tire strips on either side. It will have to be shoveled !!!
    She is looking to have ANYTHING more than a 1/2 inch serviced, plus... salt/cal. She needs this done by 8 AM so her health aids can come to get her to take her for treatments.
    Mainly I am looking for input on what would be a good baseline for estimating the remainder of the season to give her a price. If it were a 2" trigger, I could safely say maybe 4 more events at most, but with the fact that the last 4 snowfalls we have had amounted to an inch or less, and she wants her trigger at 1/2", there could be 8 or more times I will have to service her.
    She wants a contract seeing as she already paid another guy to do this and he doesn't want to come for anything less than 2", but she didn't sign anything with him. She is also willing to pay in advance.
    What does everyone think about this?
  2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

i would say get the phone book out and call the next guy.
  3. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

Well, initially, I would say the same thing, but she is also looking to sign a full service maintenance contract for summer ... so it might just be worth while in the long run. Plus, she is less than 5 minutes away, so just going over to sweep or push off a 1/2" of snow and throw some salt down wouldn't be a big deal.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

5. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

The method is not in question. It is how should I figure a seasonal or "partial remainder" of the season with a 1/2" trigger. I could wind up going there 10 times from now till the end of March, or I could go only twice ... but either way, with a 1/2 " trigger, the property will need to be serviced a heck of a lot more times than if you had a 2" trigger.
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

How about charging so much for each inch that falls from now to the end of the season, then use salt/treated salt to keep the smaller amounts clear? If she wants a set amount for the season, I'd say just figure half of your average yearly snowfall amount and half of your snowfalls. Again, using this method, let her know that you'll do it your way and she shouldn't expect to see you shoveling all the time - you're going to be using technology to help you (pre-treat with salt). This is a situation where the residual effect of treated salt could really work in your favor. You won't be clearing the snowfall of an inch or so.

Just guessing - maybe another 4-6 one- and two inch snowfalls and a six inch snowfall left for this season in your area?
  7. fordman

fordman Senior Member

For something like that I would charge around $40-$50 each time. If you got alot of snow you could probably plow the drive with shoes on so you won't tear up the grass. A U edge would be ideal for this situation, however shoes would still work.
  8. I would only do it on a pay per trip basis and charge by how long it takes you each time. Then you should have a good idea as to what to do next year as far as a seasonal contract.

You might not want to do it next year.

Just my 2 cents, Bob V
  9. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

Could end up being a money-maker needless to say, sounds like a "priority" job for sure. Some of those type won`t mind paying you say $45. per three ,four times a week if need be. When I bill that kind out it will show on the billing exactly what time I arrived and what salt or service. And I would bill at the end of week during busy times then end of month when it slows. Just my thoughts.:waving:
  10. Temco

Temco Member

If its going to be all labor, i'd just charge your hourly labor rate, estimate how long it would take to shovel times the average number of events left in the season.