1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you charge for this?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by grnbld, Nov 19, 2007.

1. grnbld

grnbld Junior Member

Guys kinda clueless on on how much time this would take. Never plowed anything this big. I know its a small deal for some but it will be the biggest I have ever done if I get the job. Please help.

What would you charge to plow and salt this? How much salt would it take on a normal 2-3 inch Cincinnati snow with temps in the 20s? Only the left drive back to the shipping dock will need to be done this year then the rest next year. The drive extends a little further than what is showing maybe a couple hundred feet or so.

I am trying to do the pic as an attachment but not having any luck? Is there a trick?

Got it

Plow.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. $$$ 100000000000000 dollars. What do you want help on, i see no pic or any on what you are bidding

3. grnbld

grnbld Junior Member

My bad, I had difficulties getting the attachment to work got it noww though.

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Assuming we are talking about the drive and the lot on the BOTTOM of the picture only.

It's not really that big, look at the cars there, count the number of cars.
    2 hours maybe? 1.5 hours? to plow only That would be my guess looking at a picture

Looks like you could shove most of the dock work off to the left and not have to back drag it all.

couldn't tell you on salt.

5. grnbld

grnbld Junior Member

Yes sir, it is the bottom part of the pic and the right part of the drive continues about 200 hundred more feet to the street. What do you think I should do by the hour or by the push? I've talked to a few guys around here and I've been told any where from $85 to $125 an hr. That is quite a difference in price.

6. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

What are you plowing and sanding with ?

Time is money so I always let time dictate the price..

Around here a 3/4 ton with a 9'v plow goes for 55.00-75.00 per hour
    100 horse 4x4 tractor with a 10' box plow goes for 75.00-110.00 per hour.... I would price hourly if you can based on the equipment you plan on using so your protected in case of heavy snow etc... price your sand/salt per ton, we charge 85.00 per ton spread...

Goodluck

Al

7. grnbld

grnbld Junior Member

My price per ton is $82. Are you saying $85 plus the price of salt? $167 per ton?

8. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

85 per ton spread

Nope, we charge 85.00 per ton spread.... our costs are 25.00 per ton for pre mixed sand/salt.... dropped in our yard...

If you use 3 yards/tons for your site the charge would be 3x85.00 per ton.... thats the way we work it...

Al

9. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Hes saying he charges $85.00 per Ton applied (Price includes cost of salt, and labor)

Send me a email, i'll see if I can help u out

10. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

You beat me to it lol

11. i charge 230 a ton for salt, and that lot looks easy to me. I would say around 100-110 per push. Don't work per hour!!! you can make way more money going per push....If you work per hour you get no incentive to work fast / do more lots!

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm a seasonal contract guy but what I would do is since this is a big contract for you and a brand new building, I would just go hourly. Figure out a fair rate and get your foot in the door and show them what service you can provide. They wil probably want you to plow other parts if it snow s alot and the hourly rate will protect you. You can switch to a /push or contract next year when the place is completed and you know more about the site. As far as salt goes, sell it by the ton and go in at a fair price. I'm not sure if your using bags or bulk but that is a bulk site for sure next year when completed. If I get double the price of what I pay for bulk salt I'm a happy man but my smallest place takes 2 ton for a light application. Is there many other people bidding on this?

13. grnbld

grnbld Junior Member

Is there any way to determine salt coverage. I have no idea what this place would need. Could someone give me a ballpark figure on the amount of salt for the area above. Lets just say 2" of snow and down. @ 30 degrees.

Is there a method to this madness or is this something you learn overtime. You would think there would have to be some kinda close approx formula to have the ability to give new estimates.

14. grnbld

grnbld Junior Member

How does this place compare to your smallest place? There are 4 total bidding. I do have a little bit of a connection though.