1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you charge for this small commercial lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by LabradorLawns, Sep 17, 2015.

1. LabradorLawns

LabradorLawns Junior Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

$20 and a case of Hamms

3. LabradorLawns

LabradorLawns Junior Member

Knew their would be some jokers. love the Hamms idea though. :drinkup:

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Umm, the link shows up in Zeeland, MI for me.

Suburb of Phillie means it would be at least 10x what I would charge.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

broken record time,
    do you have the proper insurance?
    (commercial vehicle)
    what does it cost you a hr to operate your truck?
    how much snow can you clear in 1hr.
    do you have a back up plan for when your truck breaks down.
    salt? how much an ac?
    what are you going to do when a blizzard hits?

so you tell me how mush will it cost YOU to clear this lot,
    & what about the sidewalks?
    what are your cost to clear them, shovel, snowblower, cost to operate and your time.....

Were not here to do your numbers for you, as they are different for everyone.

ps, your going to need a bigger truck.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

So how much?

7. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

he's asking for help/advice on bidding...so, how about some helpful tips on what/how to bid it? if not, you really don't need to respond, right?

thanks

8. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Hey MJD I have a request that might help in some cases similar to this. I have seen lately that most new people posting don't have a location down on their sign in line as to where they are from. Is there a way you can make that mandatory. It would especially help when people are asking for seasonal pricing so we have an idea of how much snow they get. City and State should be mandatory because even here in Michigan snow depths can change a lot from City to City.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

How would we know without knowing what his cost of operating is?

Why do i need to do his homework?
    My or your numbers could be wrong, is not applicable to his "demographic" or situation.

how efficient is he at moving snow?

so as you see to give him a number is more of a crap shoot than playing craps.

How would that help him?

Most of thees posts are fishing expeditions by newbiees to the industry who have no clue what just one of their costs are, they come running to us so we can do their home work...
    The OP has to sit down and do some homework just like the rest of us have and do every year.....

Try a business class at your local school.

How much?
    How much does he need to make?
    Only he can tell us that.

is it per-push?
    incremental?
    seasonal?

10. Michael J. Donovan

it was required at registration in the past but was decided upon to not require that any longer, so we removed that...may be something we should add again.

let's not get too off track ad derail this member's thread, but thanks for the suggestion :waving:

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

like their street address?
    What stops them from not giving their real location?

12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would like to see it back. For all we know this person (maybe not this o.p. but maybe others) are outta state nationals fishing for answers.

13. Michael J. Donovan

ok, fellas, I understand everyone's point of view, however, all I was saying was you can lend some helpful advice, ask relevant questions OR, not even respond to the thread, rather than responding just to give the guy trouble, or post a non-relevant response

14. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Even just a general area of their location would give us a much better idea of how much snow they get and possibly how efficient they are at plowing. Chances are a guy that gets 100 plus inches a year would be more efficient then someone that gets 20 inches a year, that may not always be the case but I would hope so.

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

yes, i agree their location does make a big difference.
    Not giving your location, avg snow events, snow totals, equipment being used, experience, costs, fees lic, etc etc is like asking for help fixing your truck with out giving the make, model and year.

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

my bid is 200lbs of unicorn meat.
    and it will take less than a hr.

17. lawninc

lawninc Junior Member

If you are going to be in business you need to think business! Like everyone mentioned you need to know your costs, your market and what you'd like to net. All I can tell you is study your market and asses the properties you have accordingly. Come up with a formula per square foot for your push price as well as for your ice melt. Come up with a multiplier that you can use for all of your bids and adjust accordingly.

18. slave2lawns

slave2lawns Member

Don't given in to the haters. I thought this site was to help people. Anyway...you DONT need a bigger truck...you do need to get some #'s together. We have been doing this for over 20yrs unfortunately all we do is apartment complexes so Im not sure if my formula would help u. I'm assuming ur a sole. Get ur #'s together like how long its gonna take u, fuel for that time in the truck,blowers etc. Insurance is a tough 1, we are in NY & PA so our rates vary big time. HOWEVER, dont divide your total insurance cost on that 1 job like I see many people do unless its your only job. Anyway thats my 2 cents.

19. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

What makes you assume he's a fish?

20. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

The easiest way to figure out a bid is do it based on time.

The cost of operating -(gives you your base price to break even.)

So let's say you figure it out and you need to make $75 an hour to break even plowing.

To make money you would double it to $150 an hour.

Say that place takes you 2 hours to plow, you charge $300.00 to start at the trigger.

2-3 $300
    4-6 $400
    5-7 $500

And so on for every 2-3 inches.

Do the same for sidewalks.

If your sanding whatever your cost is in product to sand times 2.

Add it all together for your final price.

Now having said that, you have to know your market and the prices.
    You may not be able to double your prices if the market doesn't pay that.
    You might be able only able to increase it by $25 dollar and only charge $100 an hour.

Remember your making money doing plowing, sidewalks, and sanding so factor that all in and increase or decrease the plowing price to make your goal of $ per hour.

Side note:
    You will get away with small storms with your truck.
    But if you get hit with a big one, your going to find pushing that much snow very hard and time consuming.