1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you charge for a lot like this?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by benz2329, Jan 18, 2010.

1. benz2329

benz2329 Junior Member
    from Ohio

~2" trigger then plowed every additional 2-3".
    ~Shovel walks around building (blue line)
    ~Salt parking lot and walkways.

Total area to plow and shovel appox. 42,000 sqft

Thanks in advance!:salute:

Attached Files:

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

1 truck can plow about 42,000 sq ft 2-3" snow in about an hour, open area. Add for obstacles, back dragging, snow placement, etc.. I would guess hourly rate x 1.75 hrs + .5hrs for the walk @ your rate + roughly 1/2 ton salt @ your rate. I know what it would go for in my area.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  3. benz2329

benz2329 Junior Member
    from Ohio

So how much would u charge In your area?

4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

1 - 3" snow $385 - $400 plowed, shoveled & salted

5. benz2329

benz2329 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Wow I bid about half of that. 100 per acre plus salt.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

How long will it take you to plow that?

7. JMR

JMR Senior Member

JMHO, but your working to cheap. A few years back we switched all accounts to by the push pricing our plow trucks are grossing over $140 per hour on average. We do better on lighter snow falls 2 - 3". Our biggest lot is about 6 acres of parking lot. No islands, very few curbs, usually only 1/2 dozen cars in the lot when we push it, 12 light poles. 4" snow, walks and salt $2800

8. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Your extremely low in your price there my friend. I'm assuming that your not insured and are just doing this for fun???? Right or wrong??? Plow and salt should be in the $300 range. This is why we professionals are losing jobs left and right. :dizzy:

9. benz2329

benz2329 Junior Member
    from Ohio

It will take me about an hour and 15 minutes to plow, shovel and salt... I thought $180-$200 per push would be fair. I am insured and the I mainly bid for this was to handle there lawn maintenance in the summer. I am usually that doesn't get the job because I bid the highest. A few weeks ago I lost an account because someone else offered to do it $150 for the season. I was charging $40 a push! 3 pushes during one week made me 120 from that account.

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I don't think $200.00 is out of line. Don't use too much salt.

11. benz2329

benz2329 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for making me feel better WIPENSFAN

12. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Different areas are different rates. Sorry for making you feel bad.... I'm a little bitter since I just lost a Commercial account I have had for 5 years to some A-HOLE that decided he could do it for NOTHING....

13. Buck Bros.

Buck Bros. Member

$2349.00 per season provided we lock you in for 3 years . hows that sound ? Can we get a signature tonite ? Offer good until 6 a.m. only

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  14. OutdoorServices

OutdoorServices Junior Member

Benz2329 I do a lot similar in size and shape we get $220 2" trigger .That includes ice melt and walks .We have been doing this account 13 years and have been forced to lower our bid to keep it ! We started out getting 280 a push plus .55 for salt and $30 for walks.Thanks to all them No Insurance No License No Tax Paying Low Ballers around here.:realmad:

15. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Amen to that....Get Legal..Charge the proper price for the job..Too many Billyboobs out there killing the price structure for the rest of us....

16. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

You have to sit down and fiqure out your costs...How much per hour do you want to make with the truck..How much are your salt costs...Do you have insurance..If not..Don't bother bidding this..A guy from Deerlick Iowa cannot give you a price on plowing in your area...Talk to some local contractors..Get a feel for the priceing in your area..Price the job right..Lowballing gets you nowhere but out of Business...

17. JMR

JMR Senior Member

This is exactly why I originally said it would take 1.75 hours to plow x your rate plus .5 ton of salt @ your rate plus .5 hr for the walk @ your rate. Prices are subject to your specific area and its going rates. That is why I was skepital to post my price and only gave times. The price I gave would be the rate for a legit contractor in my area and I have no problem getting contracts in my area at my price.

18. benz2329

benz2329 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I appreciate everyones help!

19. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds like a pretty good rate for that lot. Probably would have to be around $350 total here.