1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what would you buy, XLS or Extreme V

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by durafish, Feb 17, 2013.

1. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Straight blades are getting old really quick this season so i want to upgrade but not sure what to upgrade to.
    Truck is chevy 2500 duramax and would a XlS be to much?
    Whats would you get for plowing large parking lots im leaning towards a XLS because of cleanups but the Vee looks nice and is stainless.
    thanks

2. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

parking lots and roads are the dream for an xls

3. Dublin Plow

Dublin Plow Member

It would depend on what you are doing more of IMO.....

I own 3 XV...all stainless, all 9'6". Sold my 8'6" this fall and replaced with a new 9'6" at a fire sale.
    We plow a few lots and way too many private drives...I can see the XLS being a more efficient lot cleaner...but believe the windrow left by town trucks @ driveway ends could be problematic. I will use last weekends storm as the model....

We have 8 seasonal properties that were left till the end of the storm for a number of reasons but mostly because we were keeping businesses and lived in homes open....worst case the tractor would do the seasonals...All had windrows in excess of 4' tall and either of the trucks (F350 srw or F550 drw) with the plow in full Vee pushed right thru and up all drives...granted this was hero snow. My straight blades would have landed me sideways, the Vee helps you track straight. Most of these drives can not lose snow at the road side, has to be taken in to the property to be lost...

I know the guys that have the XLS love em, but anyone I know that has one is a lot guy.

Buy what you think will work..all break at times ,all are sweet......FAR better than any straight blade

I have been thinking about trying a set of he XV wings......anyone to em and have fed back?

4. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

Great response above! It really depends on your workload. The xls is a great plow though! I saw one in person at logan airport Last storm when i was working. They cleaned up the parking lot very quick!

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have them both and the xls is what you want for an all around plow hands down over the v plow. I will only keep buying xls plows and keep the v plow as a back up and for ice storms since it does so well ripping up sheets of ice and for big snows when we need to break into lots and drives. Other then that I run the xls all the time. 95% of what we do our parking lots so like stated above it also depends what you are going to be Servicing with it. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

XLS/WO are parkinglot killers for windrowing

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would say for lots the XLS. With this past blizzard the V was nice to have. A straight blade would not have been able to get into a few places that I did without it. I do drives. If I end up doing lots I would get wings for my V

8. mackclmodel

mackclmodel Senior Member

I think your wrong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BjEtq2x2jY&feature=youtu.be :salute:

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I do a lot of driveways with a straight blade but the vee really shines on driveways it seems. I'm upgrading my truck this year and probably my plow soon after and I think I may try out an xls. I've spent a number of years with a vee and I am pretty efficient with one but I really like the idea of going from 8' to10' with the push of a button. Whatever you end up getting just make sure to gusset your frame if you haven't done so already.

10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

The XLS wings are fragile. Meaning don't drive off into a frozen bank with the wing out. That's why I was told to buy a V over the xls by a fisher dealer. This guy sells fisher plows only, nothing else, not even a vending machine there. If he sold all sorts of other hardware I would not take him so serious. All he sells is plows, Fisher plows.

My advice is to buy a 9'6" Fisher X-V and add the wings when doing the lots. I don't care what anyone says, the wings will turn the 9-6 XV into a snow pusher that is every bit as good as the xls. But the XLS can not do what they guys above said: Bust big snow and drifts without being pushed sideways.

Your Chevy will handle the XV fine.

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

you are so wrong about the wings and this is coming from someone who destroyed two WO's

12. Buswell Forest

from NH

I know it's a Tundra with a kiddie blade, and it did well for what it is, but my F250 and Xtreme V would have driven clear across that lot without any effort.

13. durafish

from 02919

Thanks everyone. The lot I plow we go when there's 2 inches and stay till we are done, so there's no big drifts or areas we have to break through. If the snow is to much we have 3 loaders and 5 other trucks onsite all the time. I'm just looking for something that will make quick work for cleanups and bringing snow to locations for the loaders to put over the fence. With a v with wings can you windrow snow good?

14. Buswell Forest

from NH

I'm just going by what the guy who sells Fisher plows for a living said. If he is wrong, I apologize. But that said, a V is a better all around plow.

15. Buswell Forest

from NH

The V wings will not be the very best for windrowing. They angle outwards to form a scooped end. Look at 1olddogtwo's avatar.

16. durafish

from 02919

Yea that's what I would think. I think I'm going to get the XLS seems to be the best fit I really would love a ss though...does 4900 seem good for a new XLS just plow side. Anybody know what a 8.6 ss vee costs?

17. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

That is a good price for plowside only as I was quoted 4800 a couple of weeks ago. And in regard to the xls wings being weak that is a completely false statement. I run mine every storm and I still run into piles that freeze up and they take a beating and I have not done any damage to them in 3 seasons. Yes you can also put wings on a 9.6 v plow and it will move a lot of snow but theI ability to move the plow left to right completely in the scoop position makes it easier to contain the snow with less spill off. And you just press a button and they retract as with the ads on wigs you have to take them on and off which becomes a pain and I have heard plenty of stories about guess tapping curbs with the western and fisher extension wings and crushing them very easily. You will be happy with the xls and how often are you really going to get storms of over 12 inches in a season that a straight blade won't perfectly suitable for.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  18. durafish

from 02919

The price I got was with it put together which I don't like and right near me with no sales tax or shipping. Was the $4800 shipped?
    Thanks

19. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I believe he said it was $4800 from 4qte.com, free shipping.

20. durafish

from 02919

Ok thanks then that sounds better and ill have to assemble which I like.
    Thanks. Anybody know a place to a controller for this that's a good price or is $300 good?
    Also what about weight would I just need timbrens?