1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you buy?? V-Plow for dirt road...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ex1900Driver, May 1, 2009.

1. Ex1900Driver

Ex1900Driver Junior Member

Hi everyone...

Next year I am going to be plowing a private 3 mile dirt/gravel road.
    I'll be plowing with a Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel 4x4 and I will be replacing the entire
    fron spring and shocks with those from a F350 truck and using timbrens in addition.
    X-Code and B-Code springs for those who would like to know.

I am looking for a large v-plow. What would you buy... what do you think? Pro's and con's

Western
    Fisher
    Myer
    sno-way

Thanks for the advice and opinions.
    GDC

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I plow a lot of gravel with my Fisher XV. 8.5 foot.

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Most likely the one you didn't mention.......Boss. wesport

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have to agree.:drinkup:

5. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

i'd go with a 8.2 or 9.2 vxt plow (boss) or a 8.5 pro plus (western) OR even a 8.5 fisher v x blade payup payup

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I would buy a ful trip plow

7. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

same here, pick yourself up a nice boss power v

8. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a Fisher fan... But Ive heard so much good about the Boss V's, And I heard the Fisher Vee Cutting Edge has some troubles with wearing..

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Full trip v-plows don't trip in scoop or v position. I'd never recommend a v-plow that didn't have trip edges myself.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The new Fisher edges are fine. The Fisher trip edge works in any position.

11. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

you also might want to check out the western wide out plow's

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

So does Western. With saying full trip, I am referring to plows that only trip in straight position like a straight blade plow ;)

13. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

When I said Full trip I meant just a regualr Straight plow. I see no use at all for a V-Plow for a dirt road. Not worth the extra expense at all. A regular Boss plow would be your best opition for a Dirt road.

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

That's a very good point. On a road it's not as if you have to move the snow anywhere except for off to the side.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd take a vee over straight any day, ESPECIALLY for a three mile ride. At least you know you can break it open and not worry about getting pulled off, no matter how deep. In fact, the reason I bought my vee was for a couple of "long" dirt roads. On goes through a field and drifts badly, the other is uphill around a corner.

16. Ex1900Driver

Ex1900Driver Junior Member

Hey...

Sorry I haven't responded recently. I work for the airlines and I have been away all week.

I appreciate all the responses so far. I am still set on a v-plow. The last storm we go up here in the mountains in Denver was close to four feet. Some of it drifting and I would definitely need something to cut through the initial big snow drifts.

Well so far I am leaning towards a Western V or a Fisher/Myer. Aren't fisher and Myer the same Company? Is one better than the Other???

GDC

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I agree, I'm all about v's myself. As far as Meyer, I probably wouldn't buy a new Meyer if it was 1/4 the price of the rest. They've come a long way from what they used to be, but I still can't bring myself to give them the benefit of the doubt. .

18. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

For one drive your going to sink 5 grand for the plow, how much on the truck and when your out of town who's going to plow ???

Your dough though. Western Vee has a number of features over the boss which was the best. Trip, attack angle, speed, built in locking pistons, better lights, center point cover.

SnoWay is still battling issues with their speed but their straight blades rock!

Here's another consideration .... If your gravel/dirt is soft or not frozen you will have to go slow as to not dig in. Any non flat area a vee WILL dig in.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think a three mile road really counts as "one drive". I wouldn't want to live that far in without the ability to get out. As far as the blade digging in when the ground is soft, any plow will do that, regardless of style. He's going to have to keep the blade up a bit like the rest of us for the first couple of storms. Fisher XV and Western MVP are basically the same blade, but I guess the truck mounts are different. I would buy a brand that you can get serviced easily.