1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you bill and what units?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 496 BB, Feb 11, 2010.

1. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Ok for the past few years Ive been in charge of a pretty good sized company's sidewalk crews for removal and salting. Its not my regular job as Im a remodeler but I did it to help out a neighbor who didnt have anyone to do it and it went from there. I have since been replaced by some south of the border men for the past two years. No big deal as we are busy anyways. I recently have been contacted by a property management Co. we do alot of work for to possibly figure up a price for them as the current crew is not performing AT ALL. Imagine....someone not wanting to work. Seems the norm around here these days. Id love to take it over as its more money and you can never have too much! Wife and kids arent cheap :laughing:

Anyways I have no idea how to even go about bidding this. What I was planning on doing is using a walking measure wheel and see how many feet I can walk in 15 minutes simulating and taking into account I would be using a blower and also if I would have to make two passes or one depending on width of sidewalk. I would then times this number by 4 and add 5% for cushion of the unknown (car in way, snow drift, ect...) to get my hourly measurement. Then measure out the remainder of the place and divide by whatever my 1 hour measurement is then times that by my pricing (if its done by hourly of course). Sorry left out some info....this place is a pretty big and very broken up (in terms of no straight runs) apt complex.

My question is what should I really charge and by what unit? I was always paid hourly before and Im sure this company will not do that as they are cheap asses. What should I charge for salting? Better yet what should I use for salting? Was using something I think called Fire and Ice???? Or thereabouts. I really like doing this stuff for some odd reason but I dont want to short change myself as it is hard work and miserable at times.

Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks!

2. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Go to Sima.org and you can get production rates and estimating methods. Are you just applying to walks or parking lots too? We get anywhere between 150 and 200 a yard installed for bulk material and 30 a bag installed for ice melt (50#bag).

3. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Just walks. Thanks for the link I will try that!

What method do you use for charging for clearing the walks? And what rate?

4. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Depends on your overhead and insurance and what you will be using. 35 per hour for a shoveler and 50 for a blower and operator. 65 for an atv with plow. I think the production rates are 1200 sq feet for shovel, 1600 for blower and 5000 sq ft for atv off the top of my head. That site will have it. It also depends on stairs, hydrants, overall level of difficulty.

5. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

So for a blower your saying the standard is $50 for every 1600 sqft? Im not trying to be ignorant here but rather just trying to get ahold of all of this....this is all new to me. I know how to do it obviously just not how to bid....yet ;)

6. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Yes but please check out that site. It depends on the size blower, etc. There should be an area called production rates. I did see someone post it on here too. If u can't find it, let me know and I will post it for u. Can't rite now cuz I'm remote.

7. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Yea you have to pay to be a member there and Im not that far along yet in this :D