1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what would you bid?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bazook, Nov 11, 2009.

1. bazook

bazook Junior Member

I have a chance at 2 apartment buildings, both lots are roughly 200x200 and one has a 300 ft long driveway entrance. this would be plowing only, no salt, no sidewalks. most..okay all of my previous experience is residential driveways so I am looking to you guys for guidance. I have insurance for plowing but not slip and fall, my insurance man is mailing me and est. for 1M policy, and I got to figure that's going to be at minimum a 1,000.00 a year, maybe I am low, we will find out.Live north of buffalo NY so annual snow fall is about 100" in a season. I guess i am figuring $2,000 for the year based on a 3" trip. so based on that info do you think I am in the ball park?:confused:

lot 1--- 1111091113b.jpg
    1111091114a.jpg

lot 2-- 1111091122a.jpg
    1111091123b.jpg

1111091113b.jpg

1111091114a.jpg

1111091122a.jpg

1111091123b.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I don't know if I would be too keen on plowing that lot. Doesn't look like they invest much into maintaining it. I would try to find the previous contractor (if they aren't getting a quote from them)and find out if they were paid without asking how much they did it for of course.

How did you come across this opportunity?

3. bazook

bazook Junior Member

Your right, the first lot is all stone, and the second lot is all pot holes. I ran an add on craigslist and got a call, i'm sure he is just trying to low ball the present/previous contactor, but i would like a shot at it. nice small lots, and plenty of room to put snow.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That asphalt is pretty rough. You should allow a little extra time.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'd bump it up .You'll be coming back after each storm to clean out the parking spots.

Bajak, All the lots look like that. It's from all the radioactive soil from the Manhattan project it just eats the blacktop up!

6. bazook

bazook Junior Member

LOL, so you think around $2,500.00 would be good. Last thing I want to do is low ball these piece of crap lots, and then have to deal with fuel, ins. and a broken truck/plow.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Your call. Between 25 and 3,000

Welcome to the other side of plowing the stuff guys don't think about when bidding.

This guy is probably looking for the lowest price any way if he's on Craigslist.

8. bazook

bazook Junior Member

Yup, learning alot already. And I'm sure you are right about craigslist

9. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

That's why I place ads on kijiji. There is never any cheapskates on there.:jester:

Is that $2500 each or for both?

10. bazook

bazook Junior Member

Guess I am leaning to $2,900.00 for both

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

100" on a 3" trigger. Are you going to be plowing that place 33 times. Then come back for clean-ups. That's $90/plow and free clean-ups. If the lots are that big then you will be there more then 2 hours. Sounds real low to me.

12. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I was kinda hoping you were leaning toward $2500 each but I'm not sure of how your market is or all the particulars.

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Keep in mind you may make more then 2 or 3 trips back to clean up spots too.
    Some cars may never move either...making it a real PITA to clear.

14. bazook

bazook Junior Member

This is why I love coming to this site:D, these are the things that I had not thought about, 33 times is about right, but I did not think about the cleanups. I think I need to be around $80/plow for each lot. $160 for the 2 and 33 triggers $5,280.00. Sound about right?

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think the $2900 each is about where you need to be. Get plenty up front. Hopefully he pays better than he maintains his parking areas.

16. bazook

bazook Junior Member

Thank you guys for all your help, I'm going to try it at $2,900.00 and see what happens

17. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

If your happy with it, go with it. It is sure is a he!! of a lot better than $2900. Like we always see here, only you know what you need to make and every market is different. Get it up front or get half now and half some time in Jan. If they are wanting monthly invoicing ask them if it is O.K. to run a credit check. If not run! It may cost a couple hundred bucks or so to get a credit report on them but if they are willing to let you check, then they are probably alright.

Good luck!

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to see you meant $2900/lot. Way too hard to give prices from the other side of the Country or in my case, another country.

Most of us can help with how long and how much salt but then the person bidding needs to plug in the rates.

19. bazook

bazook Junior Member

Okay, just got off the phone with tha property manager, gave him the quote of 2900 for both, and he tells me I'm high, so I ask by how much and he tells me he was paying last years guy $1,200.00 for both lots, told him he had better get that guy back quick. Let that be a lesson to ya, CRACK KILLS.

20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

OK, that's a stupid price.