1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you bid??

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by gotsnow?, Feb 11, 2008.

1. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

I may have a chance to bid plowing a 3/4 mile long lane in my area. I already plow a driveway off that lane (which just so happens to belong to the treasure of the private community that the lane runs through).... The lane is pretty narrow, so it would only take two passes. It's pretty curvy, asphalted. The lane comes of off a county road runs the 3/4 of a mile and dead ends, which is where one can pile the snow up at (there are no drives at the dead end just open field).

So what would you guys bid such an account for at say 2", 4" and 6" triggers. Thanks for your $.02, David-

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Are they thinking if you plow this lane that you will also clean the ends of everyone's driveway from the snow you just pushed off the road?

3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

well first of all since its a road you would be doing a 1 inch trigger and you will need to sand and salt the road. it will need to be constantly plowed to keep it open. you would definently need to bid it by the hour.

i would say $80 per hr. and charge for salt and sand per application. usually by the ton

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

google maps - post pict.

5. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

ScottL, I wasn't planning on plowing off the end of each persons driveway that lives down that lane, the guy that does it now doesn't do that; And since I won't be employed by each of the residences that lives on that lane I'm not going to be responsible for damaging their property (i.e. yard). Also I will post a picture, probably tomorrow night when I'm back to my real job as I have high speed internet there which is alot quicker then my useless dial up at home.

Plowman, I understand what you are saying, however, this is a private lane/drive not a public road. Their is even a sign at the entrance to it that says 'private drive.' I wouldn't salt the road unless the treasure specifically asked for it. That being said I will keep a 1" trigger in mind. However I believe their current trigger is 2" (and the company that does it now isn't real good about getting their till it's more like 3 or 4.)

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I do a 1/2 mile long private road (multiple drives off it)
    The trigger is 4"
    I charge them $60 per push.
    It takes MAYBE 20 minutes and this road is a regular road so it takes 4 passes. I will probably raise it a bit to $75 as i had hoped to get more driveways there (all of which are worth $40+) but it hasn't worked out.
    Roads are REALLY fast, you never have to back up.

7. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

8. rbs299

rbs299 Junior Member

Gotsnow?

I would say, charge by the push. have a 1-4 in and a 4-8in (even though it shouldn't get that high). Since this is a simple push off to each side it should only take you 15-20mins tops. For that I would charge anywhere from 55 - 85 per push. Stress that fact that it needs to be a 1in account for the safety of those that live there. Should be a easy sale! I love easy jobs like this and wish I had more like it.
    -Just a heads up, dont push the snow ahead of you. You will stress the truck, just push if off to the side like the city does.... Makes it easier on you in the long run.

9. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Thanks for the replies everyone; RBS I like the idea of a 1-4 5-8 type bidding as here in north east Indiana are average snow falls per storm is usually around 2 to 3 inches.

10. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

is that an access road about halfway up the road. if so you better make sure any snow that you trow off the road there gets pused aside.

11. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Yes, that road runs back to I believe four houses. And that actually may be part of Black Oak drive that I would be bidding to plow; I was just aware of the main drive that runs the all through the woods from the county road back to that open field. But yes I would plow off the end of that being that it's a road used by all the residence that live back that lane. Thanks, David-