1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What would you bid for this?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by snowescape, Oct 2, 2009.

1. snowescape

snowescape Junior Member

Hey guys,

Here's another round of "what would you bid". I have attached the picture of the lot. The dimensions are 380 ft x 410 ft. This is a self storage facility. Looks like a quick job, but I just need some advice.

Bid has to include:
    Plowing for: 2"-4" ; 4"-6" ; 6"-9" ; 9"-12" and an additional per inch price.
    Shoveling small sidewalk area
    Applying salt application as needed.

I have never contracted one of these, so I'm not sure how difficult it will be.

Anybody want to throw some numbers at it?

Snow bid.jpg
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What do you have for equipment? You need to measure or calculate the sq footage for salt application.
  3. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

Looks like a 1-2 hr job depending on the experience of the plow truck driver and equipment you got.... also don't know the hourly in your area? What do you normally get per truck per hour???
  4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

We have a few mini storages....if you have a containment plow (V or wideout style) or pusher doing it, it should be well under an hour for 4 or 5 inches. I will say that there is no substitute for pushers at these locations. But one of mine I can not justify taking or leaving a machine w/pusher for it...so it has to be done with trucks....but the trucks that service this location are either equiped with a Wideout,V plow, or straight plow w/ prowings. Good luck!!
  5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

the setup makes it real easy to keep making passes,,,,2'' should get done in under an hour easy
  6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

By that view, i cant see it taking more than 1.5-2 hrs. Multiply that into what you want hourly and there you go...
  7. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Why not just keep it plowed before it reaches 4inches? Then if it snows some more, come back again. So therefor you charge for two visits.

I doubt the storage facility would want to wait until 6inches accumulate. They'd have angry clients!
  8. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I noticed your responce...I got a call to bid, similar size; they want plow service after 4",I cant imagine what customers will think as well. Do they think there going to save money? I figure.. because of there foolish corporate decision process; I will now charge my 6-9" rate vurses 2-4" traditional rate ; what would you do in this situation?
  9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

There are no self storage units around here that would want to be plowed out twice for say 5-6" of snow. Maybe not even 7-8". They would want it plowed after all snow is done. Not saying that's the way to do it, but that's the cheapo factor.
  10. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I'd bid it for $35 per push up to 12" that should be a quick job and easy money....might even want to lowball it at $20 just to make sure you get the work. Oh and throw salt in as well. It will sweeten the deal and you know you'll get the contract
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Free salt rules. It keeps the customers calling, that's for sure.
  12. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Holy smoky ghost?! I wouldnt touch that with a 15ft plow wing for $35. Think of all those garage doors you might have to replace...

$35, seriously? :confused:
  13. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

Something deep down inside tells me we was indeed not serious:cool:
  14. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

The cool part about self storage units, there is always a raised concrete slab in front of the door. It rises the unit up so rain doesn't get in.....or to prevent tired plowers from smashing into them in the wee hours of the morning.
  15. Banger

Banger Member

16. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

okay....you guys are right...with all the risk im gonna have to revise my estimate to $22 per plow :dizzy:
  17. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Good thinking.....But I would highly recommend that you keep the salting included. :nod:
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'd do it for $21.50.
  19. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

**** I just lost the bid!!! I knew I should have stayed with $20
  20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Same here.....the ones I do, I dont go to until its all over, unless it gets up around 8 inches(that doesent happen here much) and then they will pay for a partial plowing just to open it up a bit. I obviously charge according to these factors, and have good results with my mini storage accounts.

Not the ones I do :sleeping: