1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What works with GMC 2500/HD?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Meatplow, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Meatplow

Meatplow Junior Member

Hey there everyone,

I am looking at gearing out this with a plow:

(2005) Sierra GMC 2500 HD. V8 6.0L (crew cab) 62k miles

I am looking at doing residential jobs and maybe 1-2 commercial lots. No salt required.

Few questions reguarding this.

1. What is the most economical plow that won't break the bank. (doesn't have to be top notch)
    2. If it already has a plow kit on it, will any plow work on it?
    3. Is the truck reccommended on doing the job or should I look into getting a beater?

Thanks in advance folks, your help is greatly appreciated.

Meatplow.

GMC.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What plow is on that truck now?

3. Meatplow

Meatplow Junior Member

Haven't a clue to be honest. I'm close to buying the truck but the dealer doesn't know a thing about plows :/

Ofcourse I don't believe him, but, it doesn't come with the blade. So I am unsure if he is actually telling the truth, or just want's to play games..

Meatplow.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The truck has Fisher push plates on it. Fisher is very popular in the Boston area. There is no wiring hanging out of the grill, but it may have been tucked in behind. Buy the truck presuming there is nothing there for plowing at all. Then take it to a Fisher dealer and get a price to set it up. Fisher has several different plows that would work on that truck. If you don't want Fisher, just pull the plates and start over. You shouldn't have much trouble selling those plates.

What kind of dealer selling trucks in Boston doesn't know about snow plows? Maybe look around elsewhere.

Do you NEED a crew cab? If not, look for an extended cab, or better yet, regular cab.

5. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

deffinently a nice truck. and most certainly fisher mount on it.

and as 2cor said if thats what you want buy it and bring it to an area fisher dealer have them look at it and give you a quote on a new plow. or a left over if they have any from last year. left over is your best bet. brand new and they are generally 1000 dollars or so less than this years

6. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

I wouldn't buy the truck because it has push plates on it. Exception would be if the dealer can give you history AND contact the prior owner to find out how it was used. If it was used for commercial plowing wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole-Just the prior owner's drive maybe. There is a reason it got traded in with only 60-65k miles on it.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not much value in asking. They might as well (and likely will) tell you whatever you want to hear. You need to look the truck over thoroughly, and closely, and make a judgment call. Let's say the truck has Timbrens front and rear. Is that good? Is that bad? Maybe he ran a 9.5 XV with wings, and had to have them. Maybe he ran a 7.5 and was a sucker for a sales pitch.

Might have carried a grossly overloaded spreader in the back, might have hauled the boat once in a while. Look the push plates over very closely. If they look clean, and don't appear to have been painted, that's a very good sign. If they were obviously hit with a 99 cent can of spray paint, and the powder coating is all cracked, chipped, surface rust, that's not so good. Look the body closely, especially the rockers, and lower bed sides. If they appear to be scuffed, or even dented, buyer beware.

I think the dealer is pleading the fifth on the plow situation, and I would be looking elsewhere. There's no doubt that buying a truck that has never plowed and setting it up just the way you like it is nice. But it's more expensive.

As for a four year old truck wiht 62K, nothing to worry about there. Could have been owned by someone that trades frequently.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have a four year old (09/05) truck with less then 16K on the clock. Of course when it moves it never is with-out a load and had less than 400 miles on it when it started pushing snow. Runs around with a blade on it most of the time unless its towing something that makes the rig ungainly with the plow unit mounted. It has the original tires but they've seen nothing but heavy loads, 1000 extras lbs on the front and 4,500 lbs of salt and spreader or rounds of oak or cherry, of course I am noted for being easy on a vehicle:rolleyes:. Its lifetime fuel average is a little better then 6mpg. It's had two different plow mounts on it and is getting new u-joints(they have a little slop and the seasons coming) on Monday. It has Timbrens all around because it needs them. I'll pull all signs of plow, spreaders or suspension assist off before the dealer ever gets it and since it's had factory seat covers since day one it will be a low mileage cream-puff:rolleyes: on some dealers lot when I trade up.

9. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

a four year old truck could have been a lease that expired. doesnt mean theres a problem with it.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So what you're saying is mileage is not a very good indicator of the truck's usage. Nor the seat condition. Hmmmm. Maybe I've been duped in the past, eh?

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Check the brake pedal pad how worn is it?