1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What works best?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Dieselman19, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

I have a Fisher 2000 tailgate salter but i think i may have to get a 2 stage spreader ( western pro flow 2 ) becuase i am going to use bulk salt this year and i have been told it isnt as dry as bags. Or do you think i can get away with just adding a vibrator to my exsisting unit? And if i have to switch to different salter what is the best tailgate salter for bulk salt? Any suggestions

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd say you've already got one of the best tailgate spreaders out there (either way, you say Fisher, but your signature says Western). It was designed to spread rock salt. While bulk may not be as dry as bagged, that spreader should still be able to handle it.

Before you run out and spend a bunch of money on anything, compare the two by their websites. I think you'll find essentially similar specs. But both are two-stage machines. Where you run into problems with a one-stage is with wet material which bridges and won't drop onto the spinner.

(secret - they're actually the same machines, just painted different colors)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Mick, I think the 2 salters he mentioned might not be the same. The Fisher 2000 is a drop spreader and the Pro Flow 2 has a conveyer belt on the bottom. One of the biggest differences between bagged and bulk is the corseness of the salt. Bagged salt is the best salt in terms of pieces all the same size and very large as far a salt goes. Bulk salt has a lot of fine particles and sometimes almost dust mixed in the load. This causes it to bridge and not flow through the spreader.

I think the Pro Flow 2 spreaders are very good. I had a Air Flow tailgate which worked great but it only holds 400lbs of material and you are constantly loading it.
  4. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

would a vibratory pack help with the bulk salt?
  5. little pat

little pat Member

A vibrator will make a world of differance. I use bulk in a snowex 1075 and never have a problem since I installed the vibrator.
  6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Dog gone,....those spreaders DO look the same, don't they? I didn't know that!
    Cet,...he was refering to the 2000 series of both manufacturers, not the ProFlow2. :waving:
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Runner, I beg to differ, but I don't think it really matters:drinkup:
  8. kyle volz

kyle volz Member
    from Midwest

Bulk salt will flow with a vib. kit on SnowEx 1075 very well. Or if you want to have control of volume as well as the spinner, the SnowEx 1875 comes with the vib. kit as well as duel controls for material flow and spinner speed. I have 1875, 1075s and VPro 6000 from SnowEx and they all get the job done.