1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what wiring is this?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pbjunkie92, Nov 6, 2015.

1. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

Hey guys. Sorry, I'm new to this plow stuff and I'm thoroughly confused by all the different wiring styles. Can someone identify this plow side wiring for me please?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Three plug plow

That was easy

One is main power feed,

One is lights

One is plow control
  3. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

so it is neither 9 nor 12 pin? would this be the 3 plug that works with the 4 port isolation module truck side wiring?
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What are you meaning?
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If both of those plugs are connected to the plow then they are the light connection and the valve function cable. There should be one more plug with two large pins in it, that would be switched power for the pump motor. This is a three plug ultra-mount one. It will work on any truck with a three plug connection at the grill. It will work with a truck equipped with both the three port or the four port isolation module. You will notice that these two plugs have the same pinout and can be connected to each other. That is so you can plug those two together for storage while the third plug gets pushed into the rubber storage boot on the lift frame.

The three plug system is analog, that is to say that there is a wire for every valve. So if you have a straight blade there will be three pins in the truck side control / function plug. (Ground is achieved at the motor) If it's a V plow there will be 7 pins for the six valves and a common positive.

The newer two plug systems are digital or "multiplex" that means that all the functions are carried on a single wire and then decoded on the plow. The new Western plows all use the two plug multiplex system.

So.... if you have a straight blade it is a three plug, three pin.
  6. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

I know your avatar says your Master certified, but your explanations are easy to understand and right to the point. Unlike some of the Western manuals I've read (or tried to read) over the years.
  7. mishnick

Well thank you. I was a technical instructor with the Canadian Military and taught at a community collage for six years so I have had to learn to explain things clearly. I am happy to read that the information is appreciated. :nod:
  8. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

The third plug (power cable) is right there under the light on the left side, its kind of hard to see in the photo.
  9. mishnick

Yes I see now, that is the switched power plug. Looks like they could use some dielectric grease.....
  10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

correct. the 9 pin and 12 pin wiring refers to relay wiring, where as this is isolation module wiring.
    Do you have questions about what you need for your truck to match up to this?
  11. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

absolutely lol. Im putting it on an 03 silverado 2500 thats never had a plow. In this ISO mod wiring is the only difference between truck compatability the headlight harness? could i take the wiring off of the ford this was on and just get new HB3/HB4 wiring and use the rest of the harness off the donor ford truck?
  12. mishnick

Take and use everything from the old truck except the headlight harness and the cable that goes from the isolation module to the grill. All that comes with the new headlight kit.
  13. navyman

navyman Member

So I have an old western 3 solenoid plow pump, I have no wiring at all, do I need to operate each solenoid separately for proper operation or do I have to energize some of them simultaneously for different functions. I currently have it wired individually and it doesn't seem to work correctly i.e. up also swings left and it wont even angle right....thanks
  14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

should really start your own thread, you know better.