1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what winch?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Newnamlawn, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Newnamlawn

Newnamlawn Junior Member

hey guys, i am going to add a winch to my new chevy 3500 crew cab. I was wondering what winches everyone uses and which ones are best. Thanks

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

go with either a Warn, or a Ramsey.

3. Newnamlawn

Newnamlawn Junior Member

what size, i was thinking about like a 8k winch. When i get stuck up it is not bad i just loose a little traction. I think the 8 will handle everything i do ok.

4. paul soccodato

usually, the manufacturer's recommend getting a winch that can handle 1 1/2 times you're vehicles weight.

you can always run a double line rig, through a snatch block to double you're capacity, but this is not always possible.

basically, get the biggest one you can afford.

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

NEW.........Mommyclaus got me a winch last year from
    Sears. Its got 25 ft. of cable. Plugs into power port.
    Costs like 225 bucks I think......Sure is handy when
    I am stuck up on a snow pile stacking that white gold !
    Especially at 4 am here in Podunk NY.......25 ft. ain't
    much but I have 2-25 ft. chains also to hook up to
    ANY nearby Stout object to pull myself out !...geo

6. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

This makes me think of a question that I've alway wondered about... Why do people put winches on the front of their trucks? It seems to me the best place would be on the back... It's almost always easier to pull yourself out of what you got into than to pull yourself deeper into it.

7. Newnamlawn

Newnamlawn Junior Member

depending on what mouonting system you get you can put it on the back also. Most people keep them mounted on the front cause of trailer and such

8. paul soccodato

because in life, you try to keep going for-wards, not back-wards.

just kidding.

usually when you can only make it halfway up a hill under you're own power, it's for pulling you the rest of the way up.

thats why they came up with the multi mount, so you can mount it in the receiver, and pull back-wards.

or just run the front winch cable under the truck.

9. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

Try this site.............

http://milemarker.com/

They make the winches that are installed on HUMVEES for the Military.....

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you just going to use it for yanking yourself out of snowbanks,and pulling on flat ground,the 8K will be fine,you may even be able to go smaller for that stuff.

If you pulling up inclines,then like paul said,1.5 X times the loaded weight is the norm.

11. myo

myo Senior Member

Warn is a good name

12. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Remote winch???

I purchased a electric winch with a 10,000 rating 50 foot wire that hooks up to the rear pinacle hook of my sururban with remote hand controls. Spent I think around 300.00 2 yrs ago. The beauty of the winch is to wire all your trucks with the same cable controls leading to the battery and ground. Then when a truck gets stuck you bring that truck driver the remote winch for hook-up. I think I purchased it from northern catalog???:waving: