1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What will push more and be faster?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EXR, Oct 19, 2010.

1. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Plow truck equipped with a wideout or blizzard plow

skid steer equipped with a wideout or blizzard plow

Would be for large commercial lots.

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Islands in the lot? loading docks?
    skid steer 2 speed??

Advantages of a pick-up...can go to other locations easily.
    Advantages of skid steer...good manuverability, pain to re-locate unless it's going to be a designated machine for that site.

I would go with a pick-up.
    Unless you already have a skid and plow and a pick-up without one
  3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

pickup with out a doubt... I know from experience...

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

5. EXR

EXR Senior Member

No I don't have a skid steer, I have one truck right now..had two but sold one.

I like the idea of the seasonal lease for a skid steer (6 months on 6 months off)..but realize that they are slower even a 2 speed.

If I get a 2nd truck I need to drum up enough work to run a 2nd crew in the summer again..not sure if thats what I want to do right yet. I might, its not off the list if I get the sites I want.
    The sites are within a couple kms from each other.
  6. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Why would you have to drum up enough work for a second crew? What do you think a skid will do during the summer? Either one will be sitting.

If you already have a truck, get a skid for the second machine instead of a second truck.
  7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

skid steer with out a doubt... I know from experience...
  8. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I'm getting some mixed opinions on the truck vs skid steer.

The SS wouldn't be used much during the summer..most of my hardscape/landscape jobs are done with a mini ex or by hand. Thou I'm sure if I had the machine I would use it more. This summer I've rented a machine maybe 1 or 2x. So if the lease was paid by the winter contracts it could work out for me.

I'm also slowly picking up more maintenance accounts. So, if I get a few more summer accounts I could run a 2nd crew.

Im going to wait on this for a couple weeks, see what I have Nov 1
  9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

It depends on the lot. If it has a ton of islands or other obstacles then a 2 speed skid steer might be faster, but on an average lot with minimal obstacles a truck is going to be faster. The average speed of a 2 speed skid steer is still only around 12ish mph. Some lots you can plow at twice that speed with a truck.
  10. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I'm going to vote for the skid. You think you don't have a lot of use for it year round, but I guarantee once you get one you will wonder how you ever did with out it. We love skids because you don't have all the extra payments for licensing, registration, insurance like you do for a truck. Plus you can slap a push box on it and move a crap load of snow.
  11. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I vote for the skid if the lot will allow you to turn around and push back the other direction.

Also, check out the mini backhoes. I have been keeping my eye on a Kubota L39. They take the same attachments that you can put on a skid, a removable backhoe that will dig over 10' deep and they also have a 3-point and PTO.

This machine weighs around 7,000 lbs so you can transport it easily. The only downsides are that they are not available with a cab (aftermarket cabs are available for 2-5k) and they don't have quite enough height to load a fullsize dump truck.
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 325 Deere and there is no way I would want to sit in it all night.
    I wouldn't mind being in a tractor.
  13. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

If you have large (HUGE) retail lots get a SS or tractor/loader and use that....If you have a couple medium-large lots right next to each other keep using a skid steer. If you have a lot of drive time, or must go on busy roads....get a pickup.

I never recommend a plow on a SS unless you are doing lots of loading docks or residential (a few other times it'd be ok too...but generally thats it). I would recommend a SS with an 8' and a 12 or 16' push box. Always have a material/snow bucket for a skid....Every time we use one we end up using the bucket too...we end up relocating piles or climb onto sidewalks and help the maintenance guys clear 'em (its not something I charged for...but every year I bet that head of maintenance goes through the stack and puts me in the yes pile because I keep him from freezing and make his job easier! I think I will have that account as long as they need help clearing snow!)

For a truck....I always have a small straight blade and a V blade. I like to have the V blow open the lanes and cut up the property to start. The V then takes off and does a commercial route, and then the straight stays and backdrags and pushes in small areas so that I can have a skid with a pushbox or a truck with a V blade finish it off quickly. Our small straight blade does mostly small business and a residential route.

IMO you should get another truck if you only have one truck. If you have a couple of trucks go ahead and get a skid steer. Honestly, I don't own a SS and I do a lot of stuff with them. I just sub out to a local excavating company that I know.....I get a skid and experience operator at a good rate and I don't have to worry about trailering it around...He does that included in his good hourly for me. I have never had an issue with competition with them either
  14. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Oh and I am going to buy one next season because I have year-round use for it now. I did my HW and I know that if your going to own one it is worth going with a full size skid. Get one that can life loaded pallets (2500 lbs). Get forks, material bucket, small pusher, large pusher, and a work light. That is everything most of us doing snow would need. And oh yes! One last thing! ENCLOSED AND HEATED cab w/2 speed!!!!!!! < if you are going to sit in it, it makes things pleasant....if you are not going to be in it, the nice comfy cab will keep good employees around for years to come.... (open cab and they will quit after the first storm! hang on to good help!).
  15. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

Just thought that I would throw out a couple of ideas for you.
    Fist of all, if you are only running one truck, you may want to consider a one ton dump. We have one that is a salt and plow machine. We don't run it everyday in the summer, but it sure is nice as we need it for landscaping. I would stay away from the blizzard or Western, but go with a Boss with the Boss wings. Much quicker. Just my preference here.
    Secondly, Rather than a skid loader, try looking at a mini front end loader. We bought a 50 hp mini loader brand new for the same price as a new skid loader. You won't be sorry if you go that way. The articulation is awesome for large lots with vehicles and light posts. We put on a pusher with an edge from http://cuttingedgepoly.com. Don't go with the rubber. It is harder to keep a loader busy in the summer, but we have been creative in finding ways. Our loader is financed for less than a truck payment, but a much longer term.
    We have many trucks and loader running, but the mini loader outperforms everyone of the others with no question.
    Hope that helps a little
  16. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Thanks for the input.

Should mention that I do have a broker...but I don't want to overload him and he only has a f150 with a 7.5ft plow (which I sold him few years back).

1 ton eh?

mini loader?

I think I'll search the trader and see what comes up.
  17. Triple L

from Canada

most mini loaders dont have the HP...
    a 1 ton isnt gonna push anymore snow then your 2500HD, it will just be more awkward and harder to plow in...
    get a good used tractor put a pusher on it and be done, no towing the skid, and a wayy nicer cab that you could actually work 14 hours in...
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  18. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

We have a 50 hp mini loader that will outwork any skid loader. Plenty of hp. We filled our tires and she runs and pushes like a champ.
    The idea for a one ton is that it would open up the truck for landscaping in the summer, while still being a snow pusher. We run a one ton stake bed that has better visibility then our 3/4 tons. Handles more salt and can push more snow. I don't know where you come up with the idea that it will be harder to plow in. I guess I would agree that a dump truck would be due to the limited visibility out the rear, but a stake bed with dump conversion solves that. Lots of options out there.
  19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Good points. The dump I plow in has good visibility out the back, it's not an issue. Though it's not like looking out the rear window of a pickup, you can still see everything you need to see.
  20. Triple L

from Canada

what kind of mini loader do you have? make and model? Thats good to hear...

I agree a mini loader will outwork a skid steer without a doubt in my mind...

By 1 ton I natually assumed a dump truck... but a stake body with no stakes would be better... A 3/4 ton with a dump insert can work strong for landscaping in the summertime also...