1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What will i break if my plow is too heavy?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Yankee, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Yankee

Yankee Junior Member

I want a bigger plow, I have a 2013 GMC 1500 with a 7.5 Fisher HD. What are the consequences of adding another 100lbs too the front end? Thanks

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Same as always, suspension parts wear and tires wear faster. Don't beat it up and you will be fine.

3. Yankee

Yankee Junior Member

Sounds good, thanks Cole

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Consider the yield resistance issue, AKA the weight of the snow.
    What rear do you have?
    What length wheelbase? Crew cab long bed :eek:?
    What engine transmission combo?
    You will need to add more counter weight and increase your ballast load (OK start arguing they are the same :)D) ) because you need more mass pushing as the pushed mass increases. Every pound you add that far forward is the equivalent of adding 1.5lbs (or more) directly over the axle.

If you haven't already enhanced your front suspension do it before you increase your plow weight, also look at your tires stock 1500 rarely come with the load rate tire you should run carrying a plow, consider 2500 weight rated tires instead of the standard capacity 1500 tire.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Why not just put a set of wings on it? For heavy / deep snows you can take them off to reduce the amount of weight you're pushing and not be so apt to burn up you're trans.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Why not is because that would be too obvious.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I hate the obvious........it's just soooooo obvious.....:realmad:

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

He has trip edge plow, the tranny is safe. Thumbs Up

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Dang....completely spaced that oot.

10. Yankee

Yankee Junior Member

Thanks for the reply's guys,

Basher; Its a single cab long box 5.3 V8, front axel weight rating is 3950. Trans? Thats a good question and I should have seen it coming but its been a long day and Im not going back out to the truck! It has the tow haul button and the shift button. This is embarrassing.

As for the plow extensions, I have looked into it for the past couple weeks, and from what I can tell, some times the most obvious answer isn't the best answer. Fisher dosent make them for regular HD plows. Near as I can tell that leaves me with either the Buyers extenders, (350.00) witch are quick to install, and I like that I could just have one on at a time, but it doesn't look like it will adapt to the trip edge, just a rubber edge, not much good on gravel roads (NO DEAL) and drilling the blade just seems like an open invitation for rust.

I also checked in with two local fab shops to see about custom jobs. Much better quality, trip edge and about the same price (350.00). Still drilling the blade, now welding the blade, and adding weight.

Option 3: What am I trying to do here? Keep snow out from under the tires when the blade is angled to I dont lose traction. Why not just buy an 8ft blade? Local dealer in Bangor sells them 1,250 and will give me trade in on my 2 year old 7.5ft. Less weight than fab, fewer tinny parts to break than buyers, and lets just say they screw me and only give me half price for my 2 year old blade. That means for 625.00,(pay back of 1 storm) I solve my problems and instead of buying add ons that will hurt my rig, I get a new blade with a new warranty, thicker steel, 1 more spring, more ribs and fewer links in the chain to break in the middle of a Maine blizzard (AND ITS SHINY!!!). all for a few hundred more.

Thats why I want to know if the extra 87 pounds will wreck my truck.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yankee sounds like you've given this some good thought and done cost analysis. Good luck and have a good winter.:waving:

12. Yankee

Yankee Junior Member

Thanks Buff, Fire for effect, adjust fire. Good Luck to you too.

13. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Physically I think the truck will be okay. I think that truck still has a power steering pump, so you shouldn't have to worry about burning out an electric steering rack.
    Legally you will be over the FMVSS axle rating. I don't think you would ever see any trouble from that, but you should know it before hand.

Your transmission is the 6L80.

You will not be the first person that has placed a larger than recommended plow on their truck. Not the first on a 1500, either.
    the rest of the advice given is sound.

14. Yankee

Yankee Junior Member

Thanks GetMore

15. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Always Adjust Fire first! :)

16. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I ran blizzard 8611lp's on chevy 3500's for about 10 years on two trucks. Both trucks developed cracks in the top of the frames right at the front suspension attachment points. My mechanic is convinced it was because the plows were too heavy for the truck.

17. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

They make gussets to weld into those spots. It's not uncommon for that to happen. For a while, GM put gussets in from the factory.

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I ran buyer's wings on my old 7.5 for years. Never had a problem with the plow trip edge or plowing gravel to be honest. I actually really liked the rubber edges for residential work because they didn't tear up people's yards if I got a little wide on their driveways

19. Yankee

Yankee Junior Member

Thats interesting, did you like the way they attached?

20. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I never knew that. Thanks for the info