1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What width plow.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kmac, Jan 3, 2010.

1. kmac

kmac Member

My friend is thinking about plowing 99% narrow driveways with a 2004 F250 Superduty, Super cab, with an 8'ft bed . He is only looking at Western plows. Dealer is trying to push widest blade possible his truck can handle. I think 7'6" or 8' would be fine for narrow driveways. What do you think?
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

not 7'6". either 8' or 8'6". for driveways i'd go with an 8'.
  3. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I did driveways for years with a 7 footer.......Trouble was, when you angled it, it would barely cover the tread with of the truck....had wider tires on it. You want to make sure your tires are not running in the snow bank. An 7 1/2 or 8 footer sounds right
  4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

8' is the narrowest you can go and still cover the width of the truck when the plow is angled. He always has the options of adding wings if he needs the extra width.
  5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

We've found (on our fleet of Super Duties) that 8.5' is about perfect, but we plow larger stuff. I wouldn't go with less than an 8' plow on that truck for the same reasons already mentioned though.
  6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I run an 8' Western and I wish I would have gotten the 8.5' plow
  7. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I hope that the drives are straight. He will be hating life trying to manuever that long truck on drives. I have a regular cab long bed & it is sometimes too long for drives.
  8. kmac

kmac Member

Why do you wish you had the 8.5"?
  9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

The 8' plow just ins't big enough for what I do and the wings help on the 8' but it would be nice to have the extra 6" When plowing